What's new

server issues August 24 2006 PM?

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
server issues August 24 2006 PM?

Anyone else having server issues tonight (24AUG06)? Sloooooowwww.

EDIT: If not, then it could be my service provider (Comcast). Speed tests are a bit on the slow side too. Maybe just one of those nights.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

Deadly slow, but I just thought it was time to restart Alibre, or reboot. Glad to finish my last save, and now to bed.

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

Thankfully I save the working part/assembly to my local repository while working on it, and save it back to the Server when complete (most of the time).

I have been thinking about creating a thread on server repository techniques, as I am new to this area and still working out how to best handle large models and deal with the lag of using a server repository (and occasional inability to complete a save or connection).

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I stopped using the server rep for anything more than storage a long time ago.
I just don't think that the server and or internet service is reliable enough for me to work from the server rep.

If you are going to use it and are working with large assemblies the best thing to do is copy to a local rep then work on it. Once you are done then copy it back to the server rep.

I was using the server rep when working on my radial engine (see pic link in signature) and it would take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to load. Now locally it take about 1.5 minutes.

While I really like the file control of the repository, I really think it needs work to be the tool that it is ment to be.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

Thanks for the confirmation on the server issues. I wasted hours, and finally went to bed.

In response to the use of the server. It is in some situations an ideal solution, except for speed/reliability. In my case, I am working for a client that is outsourcing much of the mechanical design work, and the server repository allows a managed process.

Let's hope for improved server speed/reliability.