What's new

Setting Export file type default

3DPrince

I am new to Atom 3D (V22)...
Every time I "Export" the finished part, it always comes up to export as ".stp" and then I have to scroll down to the bottom of the file types to select ".stl"

It would nice if I could set this somehow to ".stl" as the default.

Could this be done in settings? - I have search Settings and cannot find an option for this. If there is, please let me know.

The other way to fix this is for the program to remember the last Export file type selected, and then use that each time as the default.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It should already remember the last used export type - this was added relatively recently.

As far as I can tell, that is probably saved in your User Profile - you could try re-setting that (in case it is damaged) - but be aware' you'll have to re-establish any preference settings. There's a link to re-set your user profile on the Utilities Tab of the Home Window.

3DPrince

Hi DavidJ,
I reset my user profile,as you suggested, and now the export has defaulted to .stl

Thank you for the quick fix.

Eric

3DPrince

It has now reverted back to .stp without me doing anything.
There needs to be an option to "Set the export file type to the last chosen format."

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It should remember last used export type - so I'd suggest your profile has been damaged again.

For a small number of users, the profile does seem vulnerable to damage. I have no idea why that should be the case.

3DPrince

If the Profile is vulnerable to damage and the most common Export type for most users is .stl - then the export file type list should be rearranged so that .stl is at the top of the list instead of .stp. Then whatever happens to the fragile Profile won't effect the .stl selection.

BlackBird28

and the most common Export type for most users is .stl - then the export file type list should be rearranged so that .stl is at the top of the list instead of .stp.

Sorry, but who tell that STL is a most used export format in a CAD-program? I always export STEP and then if i like to 3D-print it, i use MOI3D or my SLICER to tesselate the solid to a mesh. So i am very flexible in the tesselation resolution. I dont think that Alibre has the options of MOI.

You can try to send a .stl file for CNC-Maching to some companys. They want solid or surface Data. :p

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Can't it be made alphabetical without a lot of development?
The order of a FileDialog -> FileFilter is defined by a simple string, so it's just a case of changing that string around!

i.e. in C# - > dlg.Filter = "txt files (*.txt)|*.txt|All files (*.*)|*.*";

That string may even be created from a string array of file types, concatenated into a filter string. In which case the array elements just need swapping. I doubt that it's created dynamically (even n AlphaSort would fix that anyway).

C++, MFC is mush the same, so to answer your question @HaroldL, No ... not a lot of development at all!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone else have problems with user profile repeatedly becoming damaged / losing settings? If so what operating system are you running?

Would like to understand if any Windows version suffers more than others...

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Does anyone else have problems with user profile repeatedly becoming damaged / losing settings? If so what operating system are you running?

Would like to understand if any Windows version suffers more than others...
The user profile is a binary file ... is there any validation on its integrity (i.e. total checksum and/or checksums per group of settings). There needs to be a way of users submitting their user profile for integrity analysis to Alibre (i.e. checking that settings are within valid ranges, checksums, etc). Maybe profile validity can be done at start up and shutdown with a backup of the profile done at start-up is all is good and a log entry in Alibre.log if things have gone bad during that session. Maybe some debug in the Alibre.log when the profile is written to and what is written, and what is was previously. That would probably yield which portion of the profile is bad ... and ultimately lead the developers to find out where/what in the code is corrupting it!

... and why is it so BIG, what's being stored in there anyway. It's way more than general settings, window positions and preferences!

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon - I can't answer your questions because I don't know. We do routinely ask for user profiles where it is suspected that it may be a factor in problems. QA / Development analyse them.

The point of my question was merely to get a feel for if those who see issues tend to run any particular Windows version - or whether problems are roughly in proportion to numbers running each OS. (I'd noticed something that may be coincidence, or may be a clue).

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Simon - I can't answer your questions because I don't know. We do routinely ask for user profiles where it is suspected that it may be a factor in problems. QA / Development analyse them.
It was more of a brain dump for what could be done to nail the problem around profiles rather than a specific question to yourself David.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It may be that those things already happen - I really don't know, because it isn't my area.

I didn't believe it was a question specifically to me, Simon - I think you know that I'm not a Developer.