What's new

Shape changing from Alibre Design to Prusa Slic3r

mbarna

Hello,

I just drew my first object in Alibre which I exported as a .stl file and opened up in Slic3r to convert to G code for printing on my Prusa i3 MK3 (built it this week from a kit).

The simple disc (I wanted to keep the first print object very simple) got converted to a square box in the process. It looks like a disc in Alibre Design but, after being exported as a .stl file to desktop, it has transformed into a box shaped square object in Slic3r. I attached the .prt file but the forum would not allow me to attach the .stl or the .obj files, both of which are boxes.

Help!

MB

Attachments

• SimpleDisc.AD_PRT
    241.5 KB · Views: 3

dwc

Alibre Super User
Hi MB,
If the stl is really a box then you need to look at your stl export parameters. Set the deviation angle to 1° or 2° and you should be fine.
I export stls for 3D printing almost daily and have never had a problem.
On the other hand I have never had good results from Slic3r and use Cura.
But there are those who are very satisfied with Slic3r so it must work OK for them.
Don

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
FWIW, I opened your part, exported it to an STL file, and opened that in ZSuite, the proprietary slicer for my Zortrax printer. It came in as a 12.7 mm disk. You should be able to able to compress your STL file into a ZIP file and upload that if you want someone to check out your STL file.

mbarna

Don,

Your suggestion worked like a charm! One pla disc in hand at this time. May I ask why deviation angles are important? What is a deviation angle?

Many thanks,

Mike B

P.S. Mike - Thank you for your experiment, but the deviation angle adjustment worked.

dwc

Alibre Super User
The deviation angle is one of the ways of defining how much error you allow between your part and the resulting stl surface. For rounded surfaces the stl is always an approximation as the stl is just a mesh of triangles which are always flat surfaces. Read through the window where you set export parameters. There are several ways of limiting the error and they are explained there.
Don