What's new

Sharing common parts in our community..

caduser1

Sharing common parts in our community..

I suspect many of you have gone thru this scenario:

I was looking thru the ALibre Parts Library and not finding a specific
part I needed. So, I start to search the web for the part and after what
seemed like hours I found the part only to find it was not the right format
to import. So I ended up modelling the part myself.

:idea: Having modelled it, I thought it would be nice to be able to add it
to the Alibre Parts Library for myself and others to use in the future. But
there doesn't seem to be a way.

If many of us are modelling common parts it would be nice to have a way
of sharing them. Skip the searching, converting, dealing with dumb solids, etc.. :wink:

:?: What do you guys think of this idea and how would you suggest we
set up a method of sharing these files?

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I've been thinking about this, as well.

It would also be a great resource for people learning Alibre - they could download parts, and assemblies even, to play with, and see how they're constructed.

The Alibre version of "3D Content Central".

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I can't find the post right now, but this had been suggested before. It seemed like there was a lot of support for it, then it just seemed to kind of die.
It would really be nice if we could figure out a good way of doing this.

caduser1

Since Alibre states that we can share files thru a repository maybe Alibre
could set up a general repository on their server that everyone could
have access to. Thru the features on the repository we can see revisions,
notes, set up sub-folders etc.. Everyone would be free to upload to and
download from the public repository.

What do you say Alibre? :wink:

swertel

Alibre Super User

That would require everyone to have at least the Pro version of AD, if not grandfathered in. Which I guess is no big deal since that's what is needed for the Parts Library anyway.

ntar827

Shared parts

Those of us that only have the standard version would also like to share.

The binaries section of this forum is not supposed to be used for this purpose but could it?

Is there a storage issue?

Could Alibre provide for this on there server?

Thanks

Nick

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

FWIW, I've modeled several dozen Unistrut brackets and a couple of strut profiles and would be happy to contribute them if there were a place to upload them. Perhaps Alibre could make some space available on a server for this purpose? I suppose that copyright could be an issue on some parts, though.

It would also be handy to have a section with links to vendors that supply 3-D CAD libraries of their wares. Links do get posted from time to time on the forum but it would be nice to have them organized in one place.

Mike

Greetings,
Although I am only a standard version user--- I would like to encourage Alibre's adoption of this request.
I would consider a "Pro" upgrade if I felt the repository was a favorable added value for my investment. If the library were indeed done in this fashion at first impression I think it has excellent worth.
Secondly, I need other user's results to initiate my own advancement--- clearly this becomes another useful "tutorial" for the next round.
Finally, it just seems like such a warm bandwagon for Alibre to jump on.
Am I wrong on this?
scott

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I don't think you could simply use a repository for this - it would need a proper cataloging system or it would pretty soon become unusable...

Greetings Miles,
I am still learning all that is the Alibre experience, so I am not sure I understand your comment.
Could you please be more explicit--- are you saying
the repository as it currently is implemented would not
suffice? What would be the drawback(s)?
If you feel the repository is not sufficient to allow this
type of mechanism do you have another suggestion?
thanks for your efforts,
scott

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Hi Scott,

I hope you didn't get the impression that I was being negative - I'm very much in favour of a communal part sharing system.

I'm sure it's possible to use a Repository, or even the forum binaries section, but it would make much more sense to set up a dedicated catalog system with index, thumbnail images and search facility. This way, it will remain usable, even if it becomes very extensive.

SolidWorks use their own (I think) technology called Part Stream for 3D Content Central. There are several other possibilities out there, it needs some research...

indesign

Alibre Super User

It would be possible to do something like this but one person would either have to be over cataloging parts or an upload area where there are directories and sub-directories and so on. Someone would still have to oversee this to some extent. Think of Ebay and how they setup their catagory lists. Each person can sell under the type of item but they can still list it incorrectly. Therefore their search engine helps people locate what they are needing.

It is really quite huge and the server size is extreme as well. For these reasons it would need someone to help keep things organized and cleaned up. What would happen if someone posted a part they should not have due to proprietary reasons and it had to be removed. Can't leave an empty spot.

Anyway you can see this could get extensive in time and resources but it can be done. Just it could make a mess for someone to keep up with. If let loose and was left to individuals then it could easily get messy in content and organization. (not that anyone has different ways of organizing their data :wink: )