What's new

Sheet metal bug?

I am running V24 64-bit [Build 24043]. when making a sheet metal part, I create a tab, change the sheet metal properties to the new thickness, and then return to add flanges. The flange edges are not selectable unless I save, close and re-open. Then everything is back to normal.
I have come across this several times since the last update.
Is this something that will be fixed in V25?

Jim

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see that issue, when following your description.

Please detail your workflow exactly so that I can see if it is re-producible....

Open sheet metal part
Choose plane and create sketch
Create box
Choose symmetry constraints for each axis
Dimension box edges
create tab
choose sheet metal parameters and change thickness.
attempt to select edge for creating tab, no joy.
Close, reopen and everything is fine.
Been happening for months....

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Presumably you mean 'attempt to select edge for creating FLANGE' .

I have no problem doing that.

I suggest that you try

1. Re-set user profile, using link on Utilities Tab of Home Window. If that works, report to support and get details of how to provide the backed up profile for analysis.

2. Uninstall Alibre, re-boot computer and install from a fresh download of your entitled installer.

Yep, Flange. Nothing is selectable, can't create a sketch on the tab or anything until re-opening.
When will V25 be out?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yep, Flange. Nothing is selectable, can't create a sketch on the tab or anything until re-opening.
When will V25 be out?

In a day or two, or three.

I've been using the Beta version of it for a month and am loving it. A worthwhile upgrade in my opinion.

Jake_Steidy

Ginger,

I have that problem appear every so often, I design quite a bit of sheet metal parts. There is no solution I have found, other than close and reopen.

Sometimes Alibre is just broken in what ever is loaded on the memory and needs to be fully closed and reopened to "resolve" whatever bug, this happens with just about any tool sometimes, patterns, extrusions, sheet metal flanges, ect.

I have thought about trying to report it to support but there is no way to really duplicate it once you close out, and I don't think anything is saved that is actually verifiable in the individual files to recreate.

Best,
Jake

Yep, since saving and re-opening solves it, you can't send an example file to anyone.
Maybe recording the screen while it happens would work, but not that big of a deal.
It's real consistent for me. Seems to be the change of sheet metal parameters - thickness that triggers it.
I'll wait to see if V25 cures it.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have thought about trying to report it to support but there is no way to really duplicate it once you close out, and I don't think anything is saved that is actually verifiable in the individual files to recreate.
Try taking a look at the Log File for the session, in fact, send the part file and the log file to support for their review.
When I've had odd results I've sent the part or assembly (package) and the log file. Sometimes that gives a clue as to what happened.

You can get to the log files from the Utilities tab of the Home window under Miscellaneous... . The latest, or current, one is named Alibre.log.

Looks like when this happens, I can open the sketch of the tab, close right back out and then the edges are suddenly selectable.