What's new

Sheet Metal Fillets

Is there a way to add fillets to a sheet metal part (not including the "corner round" radius)? I'm trying to show coining on a part, but I'm not able to find any thumbnail that will allow me to do it.

The only option I could think of is to do a cut sweep around the entire profile which is a bit tedious in the long run.

From the picture below, I'm trying to add a radius around the slot shown below.

1643719618000.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you enable part modelling toolbar in sheet metal (or just use the Features menu) you can use fillets - BUT take care as some part modelling operations can prevent flat patterning from working.

Thanks David! But how do you allow part modeling in the toolbar?

Also, will flat patterning work if I were to create a part first with fillet edges, then convert it to sheet metal?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Go to system options and check the box.

Attachments

• IMG_20220130_163100874.jpg
    IMG_20220130_163100874.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 12

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
I'm almost sure I'm using an older version of Expert than you are, but on mine it's under Display in the System Options. You might need to have a Sheetmetal workspace open to see it
45twerf.png

And yeah, I've run part-modeled fillets through bends in Sheetmetal models, but it's a crapshoot if the flatten/Unbend features will still work afterwards. What I sometimes do is make my own flat by starting a second Configuration for the part that suppresses the original fillet, add an Unbend feature that flattens everything, and create another Fillet feature that replicates the original. Then in my Drawing, instead of selecting a view be drawn flattened, I use my own "flat" Configuration instead. I lose the bend centerlines in the view, but those are easy enough to add manually.
76rhty65h.png