What's new

Sheet Metal strange open bending?

BlackBird28

Hi folks,

i have a strange artifact in my bending. The bending is on a slot and one side is open.
i dont know what i have done wrong.

open_bend.png

Is this a bug or have i done something not the "Alibre" way?

the file is attached...
done in Alibre V23

Attachments

• Aufsteller.AD_SMP
    396.5 KB · Views: 4

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Sketched bends don't work across cutouts. (It would be nice if they did.)
You need to use Unbend and Rebend to insert the center cutout. Check out the example file.

Aufsteller Unbend-Rebend.png

Attachments

• Aufsteller Unbend-Rebend.AD_SMP
    417 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
When Alibre added Sketched Bends to sheet metal I turned in to support some anomalies that did not make sense and in fact gave bad results when applying them to the field of the sheet. What you experienced was one of them. I was told that the program was working as designed and the suggestions were pretty much ignored. So we are left with what we have and have to work around its limitations/idiosyncrasies such as they are. Otherwise sketched bends do come in handy and perform simple bends when needed.

If it is any consolation, I far as I recall SolidWorks has the same issue that you came across, so it's likely not unique to Alibre.

lamar

I just check SolidWorks latest version and it does create a bend across a slot, so it is achievable, maybe Alibre needs to update its sketch bend module.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@lamar thanks for checking. I don't have access to SW since I retired although I have been tempted to get a copy via their military discount or Experamental Aircraft Assoc. discount. Both of which is the same as a Student license and, as I understand, needs to be renewed yearly.

BlackBird28

I checked it today @work with Inventor2022 and it worked how it should.;)
I think Alibre can improve their bending at this point.

image001.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It would be nice to know if it is an ACIS limitation or an Alibre programing limitation. I suspect that one could be overcome more quickly than the other and it may just be a matter of knowing how to coax the process out of the ACIS kernel.