What's new

SHEET METAL

steved

Sheet metal

Hi b1larsen

Not sure what you are trying to do, but a good starting point is the sheet metal tutorial to appreciate the basics.

Cheers

Steve

b1larsen

looking for sheet metal help

I can make a flat sheet metal part but how do make a box with six sides that the top of the box is smaller then the base?

volker

Hi b1larsen,
start with a tab. Create a bend
Chose a bending angle of maybe 100°.
Rebend and make a angular cut both sides 10°.(depends on bending angle of course)
Create next bend -> rebend. Do this for all sides of the box.
You now have 6 bends. one is cut, all bends are unfolded.
You can now pattern the cut and bend all the flanges, again.
You now can close the corners, playing with different options.
I`ll try to add a small examples into binaris.

Cheers
Volker

jhatfield

The box Volker posted in the binaries section has a problem I recently had to deal with. The holes at the bottom of the box formed when two adjacent flanges meet. The new close corner tool does a nice job closing the sides, but still leaves holes at the bottom. Is there a way to close them in sheet metal? I wound up cobbling something together using regular modeling tools and fillets with a note to weld and grind smooth or something like that. I used the sheet metal part for the flat and the modeled part for the formed views. Volker, what would you do on the box you posted to close those holes? Could you do it and post it?

jhatfield

Thanks, Volker,

I spent a lot of hours I couldn't justifiably bill my client for trying things myself before I gave up. Perhaps dealing with those holes is something that should be added to suggested enhancements. I just talked with a friend who uses SW. He fiddled with the issue while on the phone and concluded he would use weld beads available in parts or assembly to fill in the holes. I asked him if he could unfold what he'd created. By then he'd done some other things and couldn't answer, but said that if it wouldn't unfold he would just suppress the weld beads and then unfold it. So perhaps in Alibre, one could use extrude and extrude cuts to fill in the hole, then suppress them for the flat and unsuppress them for the formed views. Configurations could be used to keep them separated. Anyway, Volker, thanks for giving it a try.