What's new

Sheetmetal, how to close a large gap

Kunstmaan

Alibre Super User
Good Morning,
Still learning so #daretoask

It is probably simple but how do I close that large gap?
681test.jpg
Mareike

Attachments

• 681test.AD_PRT
    273.5 KB · Views: 9

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I had to take a couple of attempts, but 'convert to sheet metal' seems to do an OK job.

I suppressed your Shell operation - that isn't needed.

Attachments

• 681test.AD_SMP
    475.5 KB · Views: 8

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - it's missing the part that you posted above (but with the shell feature suppressed). Simply re-link it to your part (after supressing the shell).

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Mareike,

will this work for you?
upload_2020-7-6_17-57-34.png

(Please check dimension before use...)

Regards
Stefan

Attachments

• 681test_forum.AD_SMP
    847 KB · Views: 8

oldfox

Alibre Super User
That doenst work, I cant edit the single flange

Mareike, If the dogbone isn't at the bottom of the feature list and you can't move it, then do a "save as" and then try again.
I've wasted a lot of time trying to do something that just won't work and then remember to try saving. That usually releases
whatever is locked up and I continue on with my work. This didn't used to happen, just in this latest build. (maybe the
previous one also)

jhiker

Alibre Super User
I was thinking maybe a simple 'close corner', trim to the curve and extend the top flange.

Close.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Been there, done that. Close Corners needs both edges to be straight. Otherwise It won't close and trim the flanges. Bummer.

Mareike, This would be a good part to send to Alibre so they can test it with "Convert to Sheet Metal" and "Closed Corners". Maybe some sheet metal enhancements could come of it.

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
oldfox, by changing the width of the large bend it introduced an issue where the side bends are now extending the full length of the flange instead of stopping at the large bend. It makes it difficult to fillet the corners without adding an Extrude Cut.

Extended  Bends.png Bad SM Preview.png

A better solution would be to add the side flanges individually and edit the sketch for each of them by extending them 60 mm and applying a fillet of 60 mm to match the inside face of the large bend.

Flange Edit.png

Hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of editing your model to make the changes.

Attachments

• 681 Corners Trimmed.AD_SMP
    787.5 KB · Views: 3

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of editing your model to make the changes.

NP - I don't do sheet metal so edit away.:)
I just looked at the model as a 3D and saw that the sides infringed on the bend causing the interference and just used the first solution
that came to mind.

One of these days I will learn sheet metal just to end all of this boring pandemonium. (correct spelling) :D