What's new

Simulating toothed belts and motion in an Assembly

jcdammeyer

Is it possible to create a toothed timing belt that connects two pulleys and then turn one pulley and have it move the belt and turn the other pulley?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Use the gear/pulley constraint to get the wheels turning in sync, the timing belt, you may have to just use your imagination a bit.

jcdammeyer

Use the gear/pulley constraint to get the wheels turning in sync, the timing belt, you may have to just use your imagination a bit.
You can see in the screen shot where I want to put the L series belt. Not that it's needed for animation. But it would make the model cooler. I can't figure out how I'd make these constrain with the gear constraint.
1677036560236.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The gear constraint isn't for constraining the belt in place, it will only allow the two component gears to move/rotate in relation to each other within the ratio selected. The belt will be stationary since it is not "flexible" and will not move and will require other constraints to position it.

jcdammeyer

The gear constraint isn't for constraining the belt in place, it will only allow the two component gears to move/rotate in relation to each other within the ratio selected. The belt will be stationary since it is not "flexible" and will not move and will require other constraints to position it.
Going to have to find a tutorial on the gear constraints then. So far it doesn't work with the toothed pulleys.
Not that it matters. This project is to get a feel for the AR3 and AR4 robot arm without spending the money up front for all the mechanics. I've learned a heck of a lot just by drawing it all.
Thank you for your feedback and help.
John

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Activate the gear constraint, pick a circular edge for each gear, eg the bore.
In the gear size fields, put the number of teeth for each gear.
Hit OK then grab one of the gears and rotate it. The other gear will rotate accordingly.
10 and 10 will give you a 1:1 drive. 20 and 10 will give a 2:1 drive
If the "driven' gear is going the wrong way, then edit the constraint and tick the reverse rotation box.

jcdammeyer

Hit OK then grab one of the gears and rotate it. The other gear will rotate accordingly.
If the "driven' gear is going the wrong way, then edit the constraint and tick the reverse rotation box.
Awesome. I'll try that. Thank you.
One small motor left along with the bracket and pulley. Adding a belt to the lead screw that rotates the pulley on the end effector is too much work but now have a pretty good idea on how the entire arm assembly is put together.
1677056687698.png

jcdammeyer

Yahoo. Worked like a charm. For belts and pulleys have to click the reverse box. Now I can turn the motor pulley and watch the arm move.

delboy