What's new

Sketch mode font size

tk1247

This may have been covered elsewhere, and if so, I apologize, but I couldn't find a reference.
I am running v22, and I started a sketch with a rectangle that I roughed out small, then scaled much larger by dimensioning it. When I initially placed the dimensions on the small rectangle, they were a good readable size, looking at the corner of the now much larger rectangle. When I "zoomed to fit" to see the entire rectangle, the dimensions seemed to stay scaled to the smaller shape, and were so small as to be unreadable. I had to go into properties and make the font much larger to see them.
My question is: Is this normal behavior or is there a way to set the dimension scaling so that it changes proportional to the scaling of the shape dimensioned, such as when you change size, or zoom out?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I raised this (and a support ticket) during v22 Beta. Not sure if it got fixed, but I haven't seen it since v22 was released, so it may be something that needs initialising and once done, doesn't show again!

Here is the original post where I pointed it out ... Legacy vs new display?

tk1247

I raised this (and a support ticket) during v22 Beta. Not sure if it got fixed, but I haven't seen it since v22 was released, so it may be something that needs initialising and once done, doesn't show again!

My issue sounds like the exact one you reported......."Dimension fonts aren't scaled correctly when resizing the application window". Has it not been fixed, or do I have to set something to fix it? I have just installed the latest update to v22 service pack 1 (build 22053). It definitely occurs while sketching not creating a drawing, and occurs when I zoom to fit on a larger created item.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User

I did have that in beta too but switching legacy on/off a few times or restarting the pc 'fixed' it too.

tk1247

I did have that in beta too but switching legacy on/off a few times or restarting the pc 'fixed' it too.
Nate, I did as you suggested.....restarted pc.....and it seems to have fixed it. A bit disconcerting that we actually have to do that though. Hope it doesn't come back.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I suspect that it uses variables from the user profile that aren't initialised (i.e. junk) until you actually set them (i.e. no sensible default value assumed and saved if you haven't set one). Explains why it was seen by a few of us and once your set or save back to the user profile it actually stores a good value and the issue magically disappears!

Hunter

I also experience this issue with small text in sketch dimensions, it is extremely annoying!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yeah, that can be annoying, especially if you have a lot of dimensions in your sketch or they are close together.
Here is a gif anim from v22 Pro in Part Sketch mode, and I'm not using Legacy Mode:

JumpingDimText.gif

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The issue that is seen is not only the strange lag between resizing and the font redrawing (something it does not do on any other CAD package I've looked at), but in some instances, you just don't get the font re-drawing after that period of time, so it stays in the zoomed state.

1) Fonts should zoom smoothly.
2) Fonts should always honour and display at the font size setting that the user has defined in the settings.

At the moment, sadly, v22 does neither of these.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Yeah, that can be annoying, especially if you have a lot of dimensions in your sketch or they are close together.
Saying that, it would be less cluttered if (in this example) you had added the hole as a separate feature instead of trying to pack everything into a single sketch. Simplicity in the design process leads to simplicity in the presentation too. I'm not saying that dimensions are perfect, just that we users can do things to help.

Hunter

Here is a simple hole, three dim's only. If you don't blink, you have a good chance of seeing the dimensions! This really needs to be fixed!
dbUN8dhjcJ.gif

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Saying that, it would be less cluttered if (in this example) you had added the hole as a separate feature instead of trying to pack everything into a single sketch.
I totally agree that simplifying sketches makes for better design. What I wanted to illustrate here was that when sketches do get more complex the dimension scaling will be a huge annoyance. And from some of the examples that have been posted on the forum we do know that not everyone will make simple sketches. Some will even have dimensioned Reference figures in them making for more clutter on the screen. And I only showed four constraint symbols, so, short of turning off their display, what happens when there is a cluster of them to contend with.

Hunter

So how do I fix this issue in the meantime? Will it help if I reset my user profile? I'm hesitant to do that, as I might lose data, or not?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
So how do I fix this issue in the meantime? Will it help if I reset my user profile? I'm hesitant to do that, as I might lose data, or not?
Resetting your Alibre user profile will not effect your license or part/assembly data but will reset all your Alibre profile settings back to default. This includes but is not limited to custom toolbars, color scheme, keyboard shortcuts, mouse keys and settings. However there is a backup made during reset (or you can make one yourself beforehand).