What's new

Slice 2D DXF from 3D STL

The file I’m using for an example comes from Terrain2STL and here is the link to Terrain2STL.

I’m looking for an easy way to get a 2D slice out of the 3D STL. There are so many STLs around for 3D printing, and my current project is a lake outline from an STL created with Terrain2STL. Ideally, I could specify which slice, so I can adjust the edge profile without a ton of vector editing.

I found Slic3r. That will export a DXF (or maybe an SVG :rolleyes:) from an STL since it uses that system to do 3D printing. However, I found that the slices are stored sequentially in the resulting file with no obvious way to choose one.

Does anyone have a way to choose a 2D slice from a 3D STL file so I can create a part from that?

idslk

Alibre Super User
How about tracing the outline of the lake
that's what i would do too...
take a pictcure of the lake eg. from a maps program...
use inkscape tracing bitmaps function and save the result as a dxf...
if wanted, you can import the dxf into alibre as a drawing and use the sketch...

Regards
Stefan

Tracing? Well, if it was only that easy. There are many fine details that are captured of the shoreline of a lake that I don't want to spend hours detailing manually. Besides, I'm really looking for a general procedure to work with different types of STL files.

I'm hearing about different software packages that do something similar, slic3r for instance, but nothing that's manageable. I can't help but think I'm missing something (a lot of something! :D )

idslk

Alibre Super User
Tracing? Well, if it was only that easy. There are many fine details that are captured of the shoreline of a lake that I don't want to spend hours detailing manually.
have you tried that:
use inkscape tracing bitmaps function and save the result as a dxf...
it works nearly automatic

Besides, I'm really looking for a general procedure to work with different types of STL files.
That's a different job...
Regards
Stefan

bigseb

Alibre Super User
The only other thing I can think of is ZSurf. It creates a 3D relief from bitmaps and saves them as iges files. Not perfect but could do the job too.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like Netfabb Pro can export slices as DXF. The free version doesn't have the export, but can copy screenshot to clipboard.

RocketsRS

Looks like Netfabb Pro can export slices as DXF. The free version doesn't have the export, but can copy screenshot to clipboard.
You may be able to create the outline extraction/export as DXF using Corel Trace or some other low cost graphics desktop application.
  • PowerTRACE™ - AI-powered bitmap-to-vector tracing (included as part of the CorelDRAW application)

Thanks all for the info. I've also had a suggestion to use Meshmixer by Autodesk. While it did/does do slicing, it seemed to only import a portion of the STL file. I don't know if that was just my not knowing how to use it, but most likely.

I'm purty sure that 3DSlicer does what many do and exports all of the slices in one file. Which makes sense, because its designed for 3D printing.