What's new

Solidworks - latest offer

DouglasJ

All, out of interest have you seen the latest offer from Solidworks, $16.48 AUD per month for full version

3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers
- Collaborative Industry Innovator
- 3D Sculptor
- Collaborative Business Innovator
- 3D Creator
- NC Shop Floor Programmer
- 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Professional

Interesting offer, I have subscripted for a 1 month to try out

Andrew
I'm interested to find what you think of it. Up till this year the full version of Solidworks (student license) was free with a subscription to the EAA, $40yr. This year it changed to an addition $50 for the online version., still a cheaper option at $90 USD per year if it turns out you like it. I think it's the version you're describing. Also includes Sport Aviation.

I just confirmed it is the same 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers. The full version of Solidworks through EAA was an amazing deal few people knew about.

Last edited:

dammerel

DouglassJ
Yes, I like SW, but a user put me onto Solid Edge CE - have a look at it. Full features include 2d drawings, assembly, sheet metal, and simulation
I have stopped my SW subscription and will use SE for a while to evaluate, so far it is great and easy UI to use. I redraw some old projects for practice
Like all software, I try to export the final as STEP and/or DWG
Andrew

Garrit

Garrit, Thanks for the tip with Solid Edge CE. Great product, has all needed components e.g. 2d drawings (with sections, details, broken lines, export to dwg), assembly, simulation, sheet metal
Just spending the afternoon going thru the included videos and tutorials. I like the nice and neat UI. Out of interest how would you rate Solid Edge CE vs alibre Atom
Andrew
I have Alibre Design Expert so I can't really tell you anything about Atom. If you're just using Solid Edge CE for your own projects and have no desire to go commercial, Solid Edge CE blows any
Alibre license out of the water. However, you cant open the files in the actual commercial application. You could use Solid Edge CE to design your product then remake it in Alibre once you want to go commercial if you want to go that route. I am mainly a 3D artist and wannabe wood worker though so all of my "engineering" advice should be taken with a mountain of salt. I do think Soild Edge CE is much better than Solidworks for Makers though. Its free for the biggest reason. The commercial application will cost you $10K though. So it wouldnt hurt to just buy a license of Alibre also, and support this company until it gets all the features the big boys have.

Last edited:

GHolzer

I tried SW 3D Experience for a month and it was really difficult to navigate. You can save files to your computer, you just have to make sure you check it each time to save to computer.

It could be good if you are working with someone across the country on a design and you can collaborate, but for an individual user it's just CAD like any other CAD. I'll stick with Alibre since it's paid in full and I don't have to make monthly payments. I also found it difficult to find the support page, the user forums and their cancel subscription page was broken until just a few days ago.