What's new

[Solved] Alibre Design V23 and Windows 11cursor/selection glitch

Jhaddan

My company just offered to buy me a new "heavy-duty" laptop to my specs choice. One caveat is Windows 11. So now I have my computer, and I like Windows 11; it is more polished. Alibre does work with it, yet for me it is unusable. Where you usually "select" a button or setting, it "strobes" the selection. (It's as if someone is clicking the left mouse button a hundred times a second.) Alibre Design is the only program that does this. Also, the "OK" or "Cancel" buttons don't work but the "X" button yet on the top, right corner of the windows does work. Can anyone help me out with this issue? If I can fix this "Strobing" selection issue, I can begin using my new laptop to model in Alibre Expert.
Here is a media link to my Facebook page with a video of the issue.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Internal testing at Alibre hasn't shown this issue with Win 11. We have had one similar report to support that I'm aware of. We don't yet know the cause, one possibility based upon reports seen on-line of similar symptoms (not identical) is mis-managed Windows updates (but we can't test that as we haven't re-produced the problem).

If anyone else sees this issue, we'd like to hear.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Check display drivers - if it's a high end laptop, do so for BOTH graphics adapters. The defaults installed by Windows may well have issues, check for driver updates from laptop OEM or the video chip maker. Make sure that Alibre is set to use the high performance adapter in Windows, and check that the correct adapter shows/is selected in Alibre System Options -> Display. Hardware accelerated graphics scheduling should also be enabled in Windows.

Making sure those basics are OK should at least eliminate them as possible causes.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Something else to try - turn OFF the recent files preview images on the Home Window - does that fix the flickering problem? It is reported as having helped in one case, but there may be more than one problem. If this does help, at least we'll have something specific to investigate.

Jhaddan

Something else to try - turn OFF the recent files preview images on the Home Window - does that fix the flickering problem? It is reported as having helped in one case, but there may be more than one problem. If this does help, at least we'll have something specific to investigate.
Ok' I will try all of those suggestions today and I will report back. Thank you!

Jhaddan

• I uninstalled Alibre, restarted my computer, and then reinstalled Alibre. It didn’t help.
  • I checked for driver updates, and it didn’t help.
  • I turned off; Recent Files Opened View, it didn’t help.
  • Alibre is set to High-Performance Mode (GPU: Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics) in System > Displays > Graphics. It didn’t help.
  • I tried setting it to Power Saving Mode in System > Displays > Graphics. It changed nothing.
  • I deleted all Mice/Pointer drivers completely and restarted my computer. It did nothing.
  • I went to System Config and changed the startup mode to, Diagnostic and restarted. It did nothing.
  • I went to System Config again and changed the startup mode to, Normal, and restarted. Nothing.

FIXED ISSUE!
  • Right-click on the Alibre Logo
  • Select Properties
  • Select Compatibility
  • Check – Run this program as an administrator
  • Check – Use legacy display ICC color management
  • Select Apply and then OK

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting the result - will pass to Development to see if we need to make changes in the light of this.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
A bit of research suggests this issue may only occur when HDR display is enabled and ICC profile is in use to calibrate the monitor. That may explain why most people don't hit the problem.

We are interested in experiences that support or conflict with this Interpretation....

BobSchaefer

Just as a quick follow-up to this, I just saw this on a different website, it seems the latest bug fix from MS for windows 11 may address this issue. So it appears that Alibre may have had an issue with it, but it may have been a windows bug.

Window KB5007262

Keep in mind at this point, its a preview release, but it may be what you need Jeff.

LDabkey

• I uninstalled Alibre, restarted my computer, and then reinstalled Alibre. It didn’t help.
  • I checked for driver updates, and it didn’t help.
  • I turned off; Recent Files Opened View, it didn’t help.
  • Alibre is set to High-Performance Mode (GPU: Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics) in System > Displays > Graphics. It didn’t help.
  • I tried setting it to Power Saving Mode in System > Displays > Graphics. It changed nothing.
  • I deleted all Mice/Pointer drivers completely and restarted my computer. It did nothing.
  • I went to System Config and changed the startup mode to, Diagnostic and restarted. It did nothing.
  • I went to System Config again and changed the startup mode to, Normal, and restarted. Nothing.

FIXED ISSUE!
  • Right-click on the Alibre Logo
  • Select Properties
  • Select Compatibility
  • Check – Run this program as an administrator
  • Check – Use legacy display ICC color management
  • Select Apply and then OK

I had the exact same problem. Thank you for your solution. It worked! Many thanks for posting.

Now, when I open Alibre Design, I get a box asking if I will allow Alibre Design to make changes to my computer. Apparently, Alibre Design makes changes when I open it??? And that is what causes the problem with Windows 11. I click on the box and it works great.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
An update on this issue - similar behaviour is caused by Grammarly being installed on the same computer as Alibre.