What's new

[SOLVED] How do you create a "Package"?

jaysinn

[SOLVED] Under the Gem or the File menu, there's an entry to create a "Package" - which says it will be a compilation of all the files associated with a project.
But when I click on "create" it doesn't give me an opportunity to select the appropriate files. It simply creates a "package" with the single active file in it. How do you add other files to the package?

Last edited:

cherkey

Package files are useful with Assembly files. It will combine all associated parts/assemblies into one 'package' file.
Search on Package File in the Help.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The package contains (and will re-create) all files required to produce that you started from - so for an assembly drawing it will include the drawing, BoM if present, the assembly file, all constituent part files for that assembly.

It would be handy to also be able to add extra files (say the 2D drawings for each of the parts making up the assembly) to give a complete documentation package.

lamar

If you have a 2D drawing open and have a assembly view you will have a complete documentation when you create a package from the 2D drawing file. :)

jaysinn

I get it now. If the file you have open is one that depends on other files, like an Assembly or a Drawing, then creating a Package will automatically include the associated files. But if the file you have open is a Part (or Sheet Metal) file, then creating a Package will not automatically include other files that depend on it. Even if you had the associated Drawing or Assembly open in another window, the Package will NOT include it. You MUST create the Package from a dependent window, not an independent window.

Although this may deserve a separate topic, one of the "lacks" is a "project package" aspect. This would include all Part, Sheetmetal (a Part in my way of thinking), Drawing and other supporting files (which should include documents, spreadsheets, and, in certain cases, databases).

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I get it now. If the file you have open is one that depends on other files, like an Assembly or a Drawing, then creating a Package will automatically include the associated files. But if the file you have open is a Part (or Sheet Metal) file, then creating a Package will not automatically include other files that depend on it. Even if you had the associated Drawing or Assembly open in another window, the Package will NOT include it. You MUST create the Package from a dependent window, not an independent window.
Exactly. Ideally you would want to create a package from a top level file.