What's new

jasonmburns

I have a 3DConnexion Space Mouse that has programmable keys. Three of the keys are for top view, front view, and right view. One key is named fit, which centers the object and makes it fit within the viewing area of the software. Then there are some that rotate the object. When I push the view buttons, none of the view buttons work with Alibre except the fit button. I think the 3DConnexion software is sending the wrong commands to Alibre. I have tried this with Alibre Atom3D and Alibre Design Expert. Both the current stable release and the Beta. What are the commands that change views in Alibre to top view, right view and front view? If I know these, I can program the keys to work with Alibre. Thanks!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you hover cursor over the view icons, you should see the keyboard shortcut - for example 'Front' = Ctrl+D1 where D1 represents the digit 1 on top row of main block of keyboard.

jasonmburns

If you hover cursor over the view icons, you should see the keyboard shortcut - for example 'Front' = Ctrl+D1 where D1 represents the digit 1 on top row of main block of keyboard.
Thanks! I will give that a try and let you know what happens.

domcm

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
@domcm, Thanks for the link to request full support for SpaceMouse in Alibre. Did you submit a request and what did you tell them?
When I checked on this, some time ago, the only information I was able to find was that Alibre was responsible for creating a driver via a SDK. Maybe that has changed. Now if everyone with a SpaceMouse will submit a support request something may be done about it.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Done. Submitted request for full Alibre support thru the "other feedback" option on the form.
IF they ever do create full Alibre support that would make SpaceMouse a more versatile tool for CAD work in Alibre.

BTW, if that link should be "stickied" somehow in an "important links" thread that would be nice.

jasonmburns

I also submitted a request with 3DConnexion. They told me they were trying to get a copy of the Alibre software for testing. I don't know if they tried to contact Alibre or not but if someone from Alibre could reach out to them, I'm sure that would move things along.

jasonmburns

I did this and programmed the buttons. They work sometimes and sometimes they don't. Also, the behavior is unpredictable. Sometimes they zoom in when they shouldn't be zooming and sometimes they don't do anything. For the most part, they work with the hotkeys, just very unpredictable. Not sure if this is an issue with Alibre and their hotkeys or if it is an issue with the 3DConnexion software.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Do the function work for Alibre using the keyboard shortcuts ? If so, then that would suggest a possible issue with the 3DC software.

We have had reports of 3DC devices only partially working if too new a version of their software is used - their newer software doesn't seem to be compatible with older devices - I have no idea if that might apply to your equipment.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
only partially working if too new a version of their software is used

I have a Complex Software that run with a simple system and don't require a lot Graphic Stuff. So, for me, the graphic of ADV11 is sufficient and from this base it is possible enhances with the new features and PERFORMANCE. Nothing more. It is a Mechanical Engineer Software and not a Video-game one. To be clear.
The other think is a $$$$ dependence and Alibre is Liber of this $$$$ dependencies.
It is my appreciation.

jasonmburns

3DConnexion followed up with me via email. This is what they said:

Hi Jason,

Wanted to send you a quick update.

We have tested the latest version of Alibre Design (v25) and it seems even when trying to setup macros for the views the buttons do not work.

It appears that there was a change from v24 to v25 with how Alibre made use of our SDK and button input was not implemented on their part; for the buttons to work with our devices full SDK implementation is needed.

Software developers always have the final say on how their software reads input from 3Dconnexion hardware and any changes that are needed would be up to Alibre. If Alibre reaches out to 3Dxconnexion we would be happy to assist if needed.

We would suggest reaching out to Alibre directly has customer feedback can have an impact on their product.

Best,

Craig

Attachments

• SM.jpg
    SM.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 18

Old Geeser

Just so anyone reading this is not mislead, the pan, rotate, and zoom features all work fine with my spacemouse, it is the buttons that have the problems. If you want to spin the part around and zoom in on a specific area, I'd highly recommend the spacemouse. Despite the above-mentioned problems (and I do hope Alibre can solve the issues), I would recommend one. I love mine!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
3DConnexion followed up with me via email. This is what they said:

Hi Jason,

Wanted to send you a quick update.

We have tested the latest version of Alibre Design (v25) and it seems even when trying to setup macros for the views the buttons do not work.

It appears that there was a change from v24 to v25 with how Alibre made use of our SDK and button input was not implemented on their part; for the buttons to work with our devices full SDK implementation is needed.

Software developers always have the final say on how their software reads input from 3Dconnexion hardware and any changes that are needed would be up to Alibre. If Alibre reaches out to 3Dxconnexion we would be happy to assist if needed.

We would suggest reaching out to Alibre directly has customer feedback can have an impact on their product.

Best,

Craig
Jason, can you email me Craig's email address?

max@alibre.com

Thanks!

staibisser

I did this and programmed the buttons. They work sometimes and sometimes they don't. Also, the behavior is unpredictable. Sometimes they zoom in when they shouldn't be zooming and sometimes they don't do anything. For the most part, they work with the hotkeys, just very unpredictable. Not sure if this is an issue with Alibre and their hotkeys or if it is an issue with the 3DConnexion software.
I have exactly the same problem. Is there any news on the solutions?