What's new

Spread Sheet for Odd Threads

Wing-Nut

I was wondering if anyone here had a Spread Sheet for Open Office that will calculate Hole Diameters for Odd Size Threads. I would also like to get Alibre to use this function in the Hole Feature. That is if this is possible.

Unfortunately I have no experience with Spread sheets of any kind, let alone Alibre's open API.

Totally clueless over here but this could be presented to the Alibre Development Team to benefit everyone.

Here is the Formula I use to calculate Odd Ball Threads.

1.299 / the thread pitch = A
A * the percentage of thread desired = B
Major Diameter - B = the hole diameter needed

Actual Example

5/8-27

1.299 / 27 = .0481

.0481 * 70% = .03367

.625 - .03367 = .5913

Is this possible??

rgyuka

Simple Open Office spreadsheet based on you're calculation, change parameters-> view result. I'm sure other spreadsheet guru's have more elaborate solutions.

My 'Integration' with Alibre is nil as well, sorry, not much help there-> I'm happy to constraint 3 parts :lol: !

I'll leave spreadsheet integration to more experienced users!

Attachments

• Thread_pitch_calc.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 82

Wing-Nut

Thanks

Help is help no matter how much. I'm just starting new things in Alibre as well. A few simple assemblies and some rather easy parts for the gurus here. I must say that Alibre and all it's members have been a huge help.

I just wonder if this is at all possible to insert a spread sheet into Alibre's API.

Thanks again! :D

dmckee101

Alibre Super User
User ralf3 has developed a couple of things you might be interested in:

1. A thread and material properties editor. It edits the Alibre Design alibre_unicode.thd file for threads and the Alibre Design alibre_unicode.mtl file for material properties.

refer to thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8210&p=45065&hilit=+editor#p45065

2. I was going to mention the separate add-on program that connects parameters between a part and Open Office Calc sheet, but it has been added as a built-in part of Alibre. Just go to Tools -> Add-ons -> OOconnect

refer to thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6799&p=46758&hilit=+add#p46762

There is a separate add-on for Microsoft Excel in the C:\Program Files\Alibre Design folder named Alibre Design Add-In.xla. This gets added on an Excel spreadsheet using Tools > Add-ins then browse to the Alibre Design Add-In.xla click OK and OK again.
The Alibre Help has a section called "Driving designs by spreadsheet". Just search for Excel and you'll find it.

There appears to be no help on OOConnect at this time. (If someone finds it post the keywords used to locate it.)