What's new

stability of connection to alibre server

moyesboy

Alibre Super User
stability of connection to alibre server

My Alibre Expert keeps dropping connection to the alibre server. I'm lucky to get 15 minutes at a time.
This is an issue because I have an online repository. It would also be an issue if I was trying to share a local repository too.
Perhaps because I am on GMT+1 (UK time) I am using the system while Alibre do maintenance? Perhaps it is a problem at my end?
When I try to reconect sometimes alibre locks, and I have lost data as a result.
I want to compare notes on this with other users.
I sent a couple of messages ot the AA with no answer yet.
I'm not sure but the problem seems worse at my work PC compared to my home PC, but I'm not sure of that yet. Different ISPs, different connection hardware.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Alibre do their maintenance on Sunday evening (UK time).

I've had periods when I've had connection problems, but they only seem to be about 1/2 a day every month, approx.

There seems to be an ongoing upgrade program for the Alibre servers so, hopefully, issues originating their end will diminish.

BobM

Lost connection to server

I too have random problems with losing the server connection, probably 3 or 4 times a week at least, although I haven't been very scientific about tracking it. Since there's no way I know of to share repositories over a local area network, this is a serious problem for anyone trying to collaborate with a workgroup larger than one member.
I'll start keeping track of the lost server connections and report back...
Bob

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hello,

Over the last 2 months, we have been intensively using our server repository for collaborative work in designs over two remote locations.

I am not referring to "team design", I'm referring to some one doing an assembly, then some one else making detail drawings of the parts designed so far (sending them down to a shop 200km away from the first designer) and yet some other guys taking reference measurments for CMM etc.

This layout has boosted our efficiency in such a manner that we have chosen to stick to it regardless very bad connection problems.

We have got close attention from Alibre, but the problem is cured only for a time and then it just comes back :?

Some facts:

:arrow: We may be a good reference here because as I said, lately we've been working directly on the Alibre server full time.

:arrow: The connection problems are not related to our side. We simultaneusly loose and regain connection to Alibre in two different locations connected to independent internet services. We have tracked this to be simoultaneous within seconds and in one ocassion, we had a third party involved based in Texas who also lost and regained connection to Alibre at the same time our two locations in Mx did.

:arrow: When you loose connection, Alibre freezes. The equation to tell this situation is (Alibre stops responding) + (CPU usage is low) + (Alibre screens do not refresh). If this is the case do not restart Alibre and loose your work. Just be patient When the connection is regained, Alibre will just start working as if you had just pressed the last mouse click before the freeze. It can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Just keep alt-tabbing back to Alibre while you work on something else.

As I said, Alibre is working on this issue. I hope we'll get good news soon.

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

Thank you Gaspar for a very informative response.
I however perhaps I have a problem also at my end, because I can't seem to get a connection to last more than 15 minutes!

BobM

server connection scorecard

I too, would like to thank Gaspar for the info regarding server connection experiences. The tip about waiting for the server to re-connect is great!
This last week, I lost connection to the server twice, which seems like fewer than normal instances of the problem. Maybe some improvements in the servers have been made?
Bob

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

I'm glad the info was useful :D

We are still experiencing connection problems (a few times a day :? ) but as I mentioned, Alibre is working on this. I'll keep you posted on their progress.