What's new

STL setting problem

I have been a Japanese custer of Geomagic Design 2014 since last June.
I want to export detailed STL file but I cannot set the maximum cell size, normal deviation, and surface deviation through stl interoperability window.
In each parameter area, a prohibition mark (offset red bar in red circle) is indicated and I cannot click or set value there. Would you tell me the way how to activate STL setting window?

541636_326641930865478_1739589726729263920_n.jpg

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Welcome to the forum Toshihiko,
On my system I can only get the prohibition mark on two of the option. It appears to need at least one of the settings active. Since you have it on all of them I wonder if you have permission for STL output. Check with your sales rep or Geomagic Support to verify your installation. Which version of Design do you have? The latest is 16.0.2.16496.

Have you tried to change the settings in the System Option>Interoperability>STL/ZPR?

Thank you very much for your comment, Mr. HaroldL. My version is 16.0.2.16496 as well.
I had solved this problem.
I need to set 3D printer type in each model that I want to export, then, I can set part of value.
I will not use Cube but I have to choose one of them among the list.
10985274_326794647516873_6277357237068660107_n.jpg

The following is the exported STL image.
10646906_326663394196665_1240822224035251611_n.jpg

jcdammeyer

I've been a user of Alibre since it was first released. I've got an up to date license and have recently bought a cheap far east 3D printer that runs the Repetier firmware and I use Repetier Host to lauch Slic3r software for loading STL files for printing. There have been very few issues with printing objects available for download.

However, I've run into problems exporting .stl files with models I've drawn using Geomagic. The issues are inconsistent.
1. Sometimes the STL file is huge. In the gigabytes or hundreds of megabytes. The SIc3r software takes a long time to load and process it. Yet the G-Code is small.
2. The STL file with only a few changes is suddenly only 300K in size but the Slic3r software complains the part isn't water tight and I should go to Microsoft site to have it repaired. The repaired file was 500K in size.
3. I used the suggestion from this thread and set my printer to cube along with some of the other parameters and exported the STL. This time the object is 150K in size and renders in the Repetier Host software quite differently.

Like designing a part for my Visual CAM licensed copy how the part is designed appears to make a difference to how it's machined.

Is there a tutorial on how to use Geomagic for the cheap hobby type 3D printers.

Considering the popularity of the Repetier controlled machines does it not make sense to have some support inside Geomagic? At least as a selection on the type of printer?

Attachments

• SliderKnob.AD_PRT
    345 KB · Views: 9

bigseb

Alibre Super User
jcdammeyer said:
Is there a tutorial on how to use Geomagic for the cheap hobby type 3D printers
Don't know if this is still an issue but the type of 3D printer used is irrelevant. If your files are giving you problems then:
1) decrease the accuracy to achieve smaller files sizes.
2) try different slicers to see if the issues persists across the board.

Non-watertight models are a rarity in GD. I've certainly never had that problem and I do a ton of 3D printing. My slicer is Makerware and my printer is a FlashForge, so nothing fancy. Did you use an imported file by any chance. That can (and often will) cause problems.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Remember: you can check parts within GD :!:

Attachments

• 02.PNG
    02.PNG
    24 KB · Views: 114
  • 01.PNG
    01.PNG
    29.7 KB · Views: 3

bigseb

Alibre Super User
FWIW the model exported just fine at my standard stl settings. Size was 129kb. And it open in Makerware without issues.

Attachments

• 03.PNG
    03.PNG
    66.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 04.PNG
    04.PNG
    591.9 KB · Views: 2

jcdammeyer

Thank you. It's been a number of months since I've used either Geomagic or my 3D printer after running off 300 lamp clips for a Wedding Heart display. Coincidentally over the last few days I've been at it again creating DIN rail mount boxes to hold 36V to 12V DC converters. Both drawing and printing are going well especially since these are my first ABS printings.
The biggest issue I have run into is looking at all the little icons on Geomagic and wondering what the heck they are for. It's definitely a use it or lose it situation. Same with VisualCAM. Haven't used it for almost a year. These tools are all used in spurts.