What's new

Strange Behavior with Conic Curves (When Maintaining Association)

mjh11_4_Alibre

I stumbled across something that is inexplicable and baffles me.

First off, I’m (still) using Alibre Design Expert v24 (build 24044). I’d be interested if a) this weird behavior occurs in later versions, too, and b) if someone with v24 can also replicate the issue.

Steps to replicate:
1) Create an axis some distance from the Y-axis, parallel to it, say 20mm offset in the XY plane.
2) Using the XY plane as a sketching plane, create a right-angle triangle. One side should coincide with the newly created axis (i.e. be vertical), one side perpendicular to the axis (i.e. be horizontal) and the last side to be at an angle of 30° or 40° to the created axis. The size of the rectangle should be such as to extend beyond the Y-axis, e.g., the horizontal line should be at least 30mm.
3) Exit the sketch and create a cone by revolving the sketch around the created axis.
4) Select either XZ or XY plane for a sketch and draw a large rectangle. One side of the rectangle should be vertical and go through the origin point. The other sides of the rectangle need to extend beyond the cone. This rectangle will be used for an extrude cut.
5) Exit the sketch and perform an extrude cutthrough all’. You should be left with a cone with a precise hyperbola-shaped planar face.
6) Select this hyperbola-shaped face for a sketch.
7) Use ‘Project to Sketch’ and select the hyperbola face. Be sure to selectMaintain association to source entity’ and click ‘OK’. The display will show the face perfectly copied to the sketch plane.
8) Exit the sketch and use ‘Extrude Boss’ to extrude about 10mm. When I do this, the hyperbola is no longer the exact same size as the original face!!!

The result looks like this (coloring added for visibility):
1666722207049.png
The yellow shaded extrusion is no longer the exact same size as the face it was derived from.

If you perform step ‘7)’ without selectingMaintain association to source entity’ Alibre performs as expected.
1666722422206.png

Can anyone replicate the issue? Does anyone have an explanation for this behavior?

Mike

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
This is bizarre. I'm seeing the same results in v25.

With Associativity:
With Associativity.jpg

Without Associativity:
Without Associativity.jpg

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Same here AD Version: V23 64-bit [Build 23055]
1666756770982.png
1666756899602.png
Same behavior in V14 (32 Bit Oldest Laptop.)
1666758420344.png
1666758489104.png
So it is a old bug.

Last edited:

mjh11_4_Alibre

I have now pulled a Support Ticket for this behavior, based on the many replications of the issue.

Ticket number:

Cheers,

Mike

mjh11_4_Alibre

Thank you for the update. I guess I'll see it in 1 or 2 years, when I decide to update my version.

Thanks everyone, for the expended efforts in replicating the issue so nicely.

Mike