What's new

SVG Export out of Atom3d is oversized

dean448

Hi, first time using atom3d after a couple years. made a simple sketch and exported it using SVG to Vectric. Vectric was able to upload SVG directly. First measured part in Atom3D and agrees with the sketch. Measured part as received in Vectric and its 6% large. Actually had to set vector import by 94% to get it to match. I normally import using DXF but I didn't see that export option. Any thoughts on why the sketch is oversized?
I'd attach the SVG but this forum doesn't seem to allow that. thanks, Dean

Screenshot.jpg

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back!

So SVG is tricky because lots of programs interpret things differently. Check https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?t=29750 for example for a discussion about SVGs in Vectric from various programs to get an idea of why.

Long story short, find a scale factor that works from Alibre Atom3D to Vectric and then use it. It seems like Vectric is using a different internal PPI than Alibre exports. Alibre exports at 96PPI and Vectric probably imports every SVG at 90PPI, which is a bit of an older standard.

Once imported into Vectric, items are 6.6666...% larger. To get them to accurate, scale by 93.75% it would seem.

I normally import using DXF but I didn't see that export option.
To export DXFs, save your part. Then, create a 2D drawing of your part with whatever views you need. You can export DXFs of a 2D drawing from the 2D drawing workspace.

Last edited:

dean448

So when I posted this I was far more comfortable with 2d design in vectric. However I got more use to the sketching features in Alibre and rarely use vectric.
Vectric does automatic tracing really well so when I do that, and export out of vectric, I use DXF. Which is far more accurate. Adam3d imports DXF but it’s a strange process.
Not sure why they include SVG over DXF. Possibly the feature vs price game they play.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure why they include SVG over DXF. Possibly the feature vs price game they play.

Atom3D can import DWX and DXF. In all versions, that must be done inside a 2D drawing and then copy/pasted into a part. In all versions, you can open SVG directly into a part.

dean448

Yea I figured that out. Would be better if it allows me to directly import DXF and skip the SVG, which is a graphical exchange or something. Also found that the stripping out of symbols in the current process takes a really long time when the geometry has a lot of elements. Never seen that step in other packages that import DXF.