What's new

Sweep subtract help

Hi all,

After a little help if possible please? I've swept a sketch around another sketch and when I do the subtract I'm left with a single surface. I've attached the part. So to get the sweep path I've started a sketch and extracted the curves of a face. Then put in another simple sketch which is a circle. Sweep round and that is how I've save the file. It is from an imported stp file as I've put it between systems, but I don't see how that would make a difference.

File is attached if you could download and have a look and see what you think.

Any help would be great

Thank you

Attachments

• TCT00259-001.AD_PRT
    4.6 MB · Views: 10

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I opened your file to take a look. Odd that the .step disappears after the sweep operation.

Perhaps try importing the step file and save it as an alibre file first, then reopen the alibre file and try the same operation. I've had weird behavior before when using imported .STP files from SKF bearings. I love their CAD models, but i've learned to save them as ad_prt and reopen before adding them to an assembly.

Once I started saving the .stp models as Alibre ad_prt and Ad_asm files, then adding the Alibre file rather than the .stp model, my problems went away.

I'll play with it a little and see if I can figure out any more.

Edited:

I had to adjust my previous post as I misunderstood what you were asking. I tried doing the same sweep cut using the converted ad_prt file, and got the same result you did.

Odd that the entire part disappeared. It should have left the part, and just removed the material along the swept path. Maybe this is a bug that needs to be reported?

I've never had good results with imported files, especially .stp files

1659322502153.png

Oddly, when I suppress the sweep, the .stp file comes back.

1659322632454.png

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Alibre seems to like .iges files better than .stp.

So, I deleted all of your planes, fillets and sweep operatons the saved the .stp file on my desktop as a .iges file

I reimported the .Iges file, recreated your sketch, albeit on one of the default planes rather than creating one. The Sweep cut seemed to work on this .iges file.

At the risk of having totally misunderstood you, Is this what you was trying to do? Cut out a channel around the bottom using a sweep cut?

1659323083590.png

1659323295320.png

Attached is the file with the .Iges version of the part.

Attachments

• TCT00259-iges.AD_PRT
    7.5 MB · Views: 3
Hi,

Sorry about the delay. So yeah, the idea with that set of sketches was to create almost like a gutter around the inside base. When I open your latest file it's cut the surface out but not kept in the 'guttering'

Thanks for your time on this by the way. I found that when you suppress the sweep action the step file pops back as well, very odd behaviour!

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Could well be a problematic original import - did you use 'check part' during import?

Different import setting might help, or it could be a file that the import module does not handle well (in which case submit to support so it can be investigated).