What's new

System locking up

ChrisJ

System locking up

What I have experienced is due to habits which are probably not recommended but regardless I will post my experiences non the less.

While having Alibre running (working offline), if I stay in a part or an assembly file and walk a way from my computer for a undetermined length of time (say more than 1 hour or so), when I go back, I maximize the program and :shock: "???", the system is locked up, can't do a thing.

I experienced this at least four or more times already.

I know my work around, stop walking away from my computer while in the middle of using Alibre for any length of time, but if it is the program and not my computer, maybe there is a fix. BTW: I never experience this any other times.

If there is a setting (Win XP or other) perhaps that will prevent this, I am all ears.

Chris

mrehmus

Instead of walking away, take a look at memory useage. I think you'll find it increases all by itself over time. I bought more memory (seriously but not exactly for that reason).

ChrisJ

Thanks for the reply.

I'll continue to experiment a little and keep an eye on the memory along with other things.

I have a feeling though that it has to do with the graphics card/interface. Then again it could be the memory or lack there of.

I'll report back if I seem to isolate it any better.

Chris

ChrisJ

I am using an Omega driver for my ATI card. I noticed they have an update so I will see if that improves my performance.

I have noticed that I can keep the Home program active without any part or assemblies open and walk away without this occuring (at least so far). So far it is only when I leave open a part or assembly.

I also noticed that when I have Alibre and OneCNC open at the same time and I am working on both programs (back and forth) that the active drawing area of Alibre will initially be all scrambled up upon reentry some of the time, not all the time.

Well, we'll see if this later driver improves things.

Chris

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User

IN addition to the other suggestions, be sure to consider processes that happen automatically..... especially Screen savers & Virus scans.

ChrisJ

Well I downloaded the latest driver and it hasn't locked up on me since, so it must of been that. :D

Chris

euphnut65

Same here

I've experienced the same problem here. In a corporate setting, we have no control of virus scan, etc. Seems to be related to screen lock (which we have no control of either).

I just have the on mother board video.

Yesterday, I went to click on something in the Design Explorer, and bang!! black screen. :(

Edit: Turned out to be a known overheating hardware problem with some Dell desktops. It appears to be fixed now. :D

Eric