What's new

Tell me about your 3d Connexion Experience!

Abhijit

So .. I got the Spacemouse Enterprise Kit 2 an year ago.
Includes Spacemouse Enterprise & the CadMouse Pro Wireless.

Right out of the box, a couple of issues.
Spacemouse Enterprise had it's LCD Glass slightly chipped from the bottom, right in front of the puck where the body meets the glass.
The buttons, didn't feel good and some were stiff while others a little loose.
They could've used Mechanical Switches for a product at this price point.
For the Chipped Glass, I returned it under warranty, the replacement was ok but the buttons had different stiffness compared to the previous one.
Nevermind.
The Spacemouse is really good, but slower when compared to a Mouse + Keyboard.
If I could buy again I'd get the Spacemouse Pro with fewer buttons on top that are easier to hit without taking eyes off the monitor.

The CadMousePro Wireless. Constant Stutters, both on 2.4ghz and Bluetooth.
Did everything from turning off all wireless to changing placement of electronics nearby.
Battery Life was ~60% from whats advertised.
The scroll wheel feels really cheap.
For the stutters, I again, returned it under warranty, and downgraded to a Wired CadMouse Pro.
4 months into using it, the Scroll Wheel has started malfunctioning. It's all over the place.
I've had 14+ year old $5 Dell Wired Mouse that still works, and Logitech MxMaster 2 and G502Hero that are absolute workhorses.

3d Connexion Customer Support is really nice though. One of the best in my experience.
Is it only me, or are the issues I've mentioned common with 3d Connexion?
Curious to hear your experiences! :)

JimCad

I only have the space mouse wireless and it's superb. I had to upgrade from my 20 year old space pilot because of driver issues.
Not used a CAD mouse just a cheapo wireless mouse.
Are your receivers plugged into the computer or a USB hub?
That may make a difference maybe?

Jim

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Like Jim, I've been using space mice for over 20 years. I started with one of the early Logitech ones. I ended up using the simple wired Space Navigator (or whatever it's called now), with just two buttons, together with other devices, Belkin Speedpad N52 and then Streamdeck, to get more controls.

I'm a bit wary of wireless devices because of interference problems with them, in the past. The only problem I've had with my 3D Connexion Space Mouse is the rubberised coating wearing away. Eventually I removed it all with solvent. I have the same problem now with the coating on my Logitech mouse....

swertel

Alibre Super User
I concur with the above. Love my CADMouse and SpaceMice. I have used several over the past decades.

mstevens

I'm a bit wary of wireless devices because of interference problems with them, in the past. The only problem I've had with my 3D Connexion Space Mouse is the rubberised coating wearing away. Eventually I removed it all with solvent. I have the same problem now with the coating on my Logitech mouse....
Right!!! I wish Logitech would quit putting that stuff on their products!!!

Cator

My experience was mixed, although like you I found truly excellent and reactive assistance. I had to replace the Cad Mouse three times because the wheel had defects, and in the end I found the solution by throwing a little anti-rust spray on it.... The Space Mouse behaves well but sometimes the connection is lost, I found some benefit in connecting the dongle directly to the workstation, on a main port. When everything works, you wonder how you did it until then, but when it doesn't work, you regret the $5 Amazon basic mouse that simply does what it was designed to do. This is my experience.

swertel

Alibre Super User
My experience was mixed, although like you I found truly excellent and reactive assistance. I had to replace the Cad Mouse three times because the wheel had defects, and in the end I found the solution by throwing a little anti-rust spray on it.... The Space Mouse behaves well but sometimes the connection is lost, I found some benefit in connecting the dongle directly to the workstation, on a main port. When everything works, you wonder how you did it until then, but when it doesn't work, you regret the $5 Amazon basic mouse that simply does what it was designed to do. This is my experience.
I recently returned one CADMouse (I have 2 for 2 different computers, plus a wireless travel CADMouse) for a problem with the wheel. It would scroll pages instead of lines. Or it would continuously scroll and scroll and scroll. Now my second CADMouse is starting to show those same symptoms.

What spray did you use?

Cator

I recently returned one CADMouse (I have 2 for 2 different computers, plus a wireless travel CADMouse) for a problem with the wheel. It would scroll pages instead of lines. Or it would continuously scroll and scroll and scroll. Now my second CADMouse is starting to show those same symptoms.

What spray did you use?
Hi Swertel! Exactly the same problem. Without disassembling the mouse, (I did it but it's not necessary) I spray some WD40 or Svitol on the sides of the mouse wheel shaft. Turn off the switch before spraying and let it dry for a few minutes! I recovered the functionality of three mice like this!

Abhijit

Oooof! It seems like the CadMouse has a widespread Scroll Wheel issue.
I talked to a few people who also mentioned these same problems.
I'll probably look at some disassembly pictures and see if they can be replaced with better quality parts.
The WD40 advice sounds worth trying, thank you!
Since mine is under warranty, I'll get in touch with 3d connexion about this problem.

I like the materials they've used on the CadMouse and I think they changed the coating on the Spacemouse as well recently.
The rubber on my Logitech turned into sticky goo within 2 years.

Late to the comments but I've been using the wired mouse from 3dconnexion for over four years without issues with the wheel, buttons or finish. In all honesty I snack constantly at my station so my fingers are always greasy or dirty with food stuffs. For my arthritis having three buttons plus the wheel has saved me from having to pound the ibuprofen.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
A few months ago I updated my ole Space Navigator to a new SpaceMouse compact (wired). My mouse is a Microsoft mouse that is so old that I've worn the ribs off of the wheel; the clicker is long gone and sometimes it needs an extra click on the buttons to make selections. I've tried other mice from time to time but nothing so far has worked well in Alibre for ease of use and manipulating the cursor for selecting small features or sketch figures. I would likely change to a Cad Mouse but it sounds like they are having quality issues with it. Having to spritz a mouse with WD40 is not my idea of a quality product.

JimCad

They've been going for about 20 years.
They are VERY expensive but they're good.
I was not happy that my 2 old space pilots were in good condition but drivers to suit updated software were not available.
I bought a used space mouse wireless from ebay and it's like new so wasn't too bad.
It works perfectly with Alibre as well which is all I needed it for.

Jim

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
They've been going for about 20 years.
They are VERY expensive but they're good.
I was not happy that my 2 old space pilots were in good condition but drivers to suit updated software were not available.
I bought a used space mouse wireless from ebay and it's like new so wasn't too bad.
It works perfectly with Alibre as well which is all I needed it for.

Jim
I think it's time to upgrade my SpaceNavigator. I'll keep it for my old laptop. It's good to hear what real CAD users think about a product. I don't trust reviews.