What's new

The Latest FREE CAD Software

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Delcam :shock: I wonder if there are any export options.....

Their stuff is pretty heavy duty...

mtauer

Thats a lot of $change$ to add for just exporting an STL file for prototyping. Think of how many design iterations there are in any given project with a fair amount of complexity. Yikes!!! It wouldn't take long for someone to justify purchasing a license if they like the software.

I will stick with SW and ADpro/Rhino.

Mark

Isaura

I have downloaded Delcam's Powershape-e and was astonished at what you can do with the product :shock:. If nothing else it's worth a look at their neat surfacing tools. How do they compare with SW and Rhino?
The tutorials are a bit simple, but they were useful to get me going. I was able to save my work, but as you say there is a steep price to take it to another software. As a designer I will be spending time with Powershape-e for concepts even if I don't bother exporting.

mtauer

I have not downloaded it yet but I plan to after looking at the surfacing capabilities on the website and reading a few reviews.

There never seems likes there is enough time in the day, never mind taking time to look at/learn a new software.

While it says that it is a hybrid modeler it looks like surfacing is its strong point. It will be interesting to compare its capabilities to Rhino given its price tag.

With the 350/export per model and what looks to be a great surfacer that just may sell itself, I bet Delcam will make some sales.

Does the free software allow for point cloud data to be imported?

Mark

Isaura

Not sure about point clouds, but I believe it imports STL data that can be used within the hybrid enviroment.
There is a tutorial I haven't tried that decorates a model with triangle data which looks interesting. I can't see how they do that.

mtauer

Gotta wonder if a file from the free version can be opened in a licensed PowerShape version. Did I say (type) that out loud?
Delcam is probably smarter than that though :wink:

Thanks for the link Miles, I did see that same stuff today in the Delcam forum but did not get around to submitting it here.

Mark

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

mtauer said:
Gotta wonder if a file from the free version can be opened in a licensed PowerShape version. Did I say (type) that out loud?
Delcam is probably smarter than that though :wink:
Mark

:shock: I think they are... :wink:

"The catch my friends, because there always is one, is that PowerShape E will save its data in a proprietary, encrypted format that won’t interact with a commercial license of PowerShape and will have no export options – an entirely fair thing to do."

[Quoted from the MCAD-Online review, linked to above.]

Altitude

Re:

Isaura said:
There is a tutorial I haven't tried that decorates a model with triangle data which looks interesting. I can't see how they do that.

I've been trying out the triangle wrapping stuff and it is really neat. You can create a triangle file in various ways - Delcam hope you'll use their ArtCAM program, but you can also find lots of stuff on the web in STL format (sort of 3D clipart). They also have a gallery of this clipart...
http://www.delcam.com/clipart/gallery.htm
You can download examples and wrap it over multiple faces of a solid (true wrapping - not just projection). I haven't seen anything like this in other packages. I think it will allow people to create wacky designs they couldn't do any other way.

A few example pictures on...
http://www.powershape-e.com/general/total_modelling.asp

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

Altitude said:
Isaura said:

I've been trying out the triangle wrapping stuff and it is really neat. You can create a triangle file in various ways - Delcam hope you'll use their ArtCAM program, but you can also find lots of stuff on the web in STL format (sort of 3D clipart). They also have a gallery of this clipart...
http://www.delcam.com/clipart/gallery.htm
You can download examples and wrap it over multiple faces of a solid (true wrapping - not just projection). I haven't seen anything like this in other packages. I think it will allow people to create wacky designs they couldn't do any other way.

A few example pictures on...
http://www.powershape-e.com/general/total_modelling.asp

Cool