What's new

Things no longer working in keyshot 8

JST

Alibre Super User
There are a bunch of things in Keyshot 8 that I notice are not working right. One biggie is the mouse wheel no longer moves the camera in the scene, where it used to dolly the camera in and out.

There are some other things in Alibre that seem to have changed, but the version has not, so they should not have done so.

Smells like an OS issue. Current Win 10 Pro is build 18363. I do not know how old that is.

JST

Alibre Super User
From the link:

Camera Dolly (Distance)
To dolly your camera, roll the scroll wheel forward to increase distance or back to decrease distance.

Yah... USED to be that..... Stopped working, apparently, although the scroll wheel works everywhere else.

All that happens is that the scene gets redrawn, there is no noticeable movement.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Does your mouse scroll still work in other programs? I only ask because recently I had a mouse that the scroll stopped working entirely and I had to replace the mouse.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you have multiple cameras make sure the active camera is not locked. If you only have the Free camera try deleting the KS8Settings.xml file, located in your User>Documents>KeyShot8 folder, then restarting KS to rebuild it and see it that helps.

JST

Alibre Super User
Well, I got PO'd and kept turning the mouse scroll wheel (yes it works perfectly everywhere else).

After a long time, it started working. Long time means I kept turning it rapidly for at least a minute.

As it started working, it gradually got to bigger steps per click on the wheel. It seems that it always WAS moving, but apparently only a tiny amount per click. As I kept moving the wheel, the steps got larger and larger until it was behaving as I expected again.

That leaves me puzzled about how the steps got that small to begin with. (and how/why they got larger as I tried using the wheel for a long time) I do not even know if that is a setting, so I certainly did not change it. So I have no idea how it got that way.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Maybe just the perception of the steps? 10 steps a mile away seems like nothing. 10 steps at 50' away seems like a lot. I imagine some softwares use a multiplication factors to make those two seem more equal in amount of change on screen.

JST

Alibre Super User
Maybe just the perception of the steps? 10 steps a mile away seems like nothing. 10 steps at 50' away seems like a lot. I imagine some softwares use a multiplication factors to make those two seem more equal in amount of change on screen.

It was the OPPOSITE!

I had a close-up, and working the scroll wheel was apparently moving the view in micro meters per click. The percent change was infinitesimal.

Once the view got further away, the change per click became relatively huge.

This was very different from the behavior I had been used to. Normally, the steps are a fairly constant percentage of the view distance. It was (and still is, apparently) a foulup in the percentages, so that the percentage, or the absolute amount of movement, became smaller with reduction of distance at a square law or even cube law, instead of linearly

That is what makes me think of an OS issue, the OS handles a lot of those issues.

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes, while keyshot is now working in general again (for no apparent reason), the extreme slow zoom is still present.

When zoomed out, it is quite fast, but within a few feet in model space, the zoom seems to be in fractional mm per click.

JST

Alibre Super User
And, KS seems very slow to render. I have 11 CPUs working near 100% (the 12th is the OS one), and a close-up view has not rendered to a reasonably OK point in the time it took me just now to scrape paint on one side of the garage.... which would be about 2 hours or so.

I know it is doing work, there is change in the image. I do not even have that many bounces set up, but it IS set for good quality.

We'll see if it finishes to a usable image in the time it takes to paint the side of the garage.............