What's new

Thoughts on this laptop for Atom3D

DavidR8

I'm in the market for a decent laptop for Atom3D.
I'm currently using an aging Acer Aspire A315 with an A6-9220 processor, 12GB Ram and a 1TB HDD.
My design needs are pretty minor; I use it to draw simple cabinets and small furniture items and some 2.5D drawing for my CNC router
These are the major specs of a laptop I'm considering.
Product name
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eh1008ca​
Microprocessor
AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500U (2.1 GHz base clock, up to 4.0 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB L3 cache, 6 cores, 12 threads)​
Chipset
AMD Integrated SoC​
Memory, standard
12 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)​
Video graphics
AMD Radeon™ Graphics​
Hard drive
512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD​

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm currently using an aging Acer Aspire A315 with an A6-9220 processor, 12GB Ram and a 1TB HDD.
My design needs are pretty minor; I use it for the create drawings for simple cabinets and small furniture items and some 2.5D drawing for my CNC router
Product name
Microprocessor
AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500U (2.1 GHz base clock, up to 4.0 GHz max boost clock, 8 MB L3 cache, 6 cores, 12 threads)​
Chipset
AMD Integrated SoC​
Memory, standard
Video graphics
AMD Radeon™ Graphics​
Hard drive

My Lenovo has a similar spec Core i5 processor and DDR4 memory. It runs Alibre quite well.

I've upgraded the memory from the 12gb it came with, but even before the upgrade it ran good.

gsieben

My design needs are pretty minor; I use it to draw simple cabinets and small furniture items and some 2.5D drawing for my CNC router
Product name
Microprocessor
Chipset
AMD Integrated SoC​
Memory, standard
Video graphics
AMD Radeon™ Graphics​
Hard drive
You'll be fine. We bought a laptop recently with same processor, same graphics, but only 8GB of RAM. For simple needs, the graphics is fine and provides a smooth Alibre experience. Unlike Intel Integrated Graphics on our 8th Gen desktop which is really hurting right now...

WillAdams

One hardware aspect I'm curious about --- does no one else like/prefer convertibles/tablets?

I finally broke down and replaced my Samsung Galaxy Book 12 w/ a Book 3 Pro 360 (because it was becoming untenable to stay on Windows build 1703 since Fall Creators Update cripples styluses) --- in Windows 11, I have to keep the Settings app open and have to manually enable/disable the checkbox for "Let me use my pen as a mouse when it's available" when switching between apps which need that setting, and apps which are broken by it --- fortunately, Alibre isn't affected by this.