What's new

Time for 2d assembly layouts

Aveilhe

Time for 2d assembly layouts

I have a problem with my with the time it takes to do anything with a 2D layout of an assembly that consists of 10 parts that equal a 40' tool...all revolutions...some with conical helical threads...I have 2 views...one end view and a section...it takes upwards of 25-30 min just to open the drawing...then I'm lucky if I can make it thru 3-4 comands before bogs the system down so bad that it takes 5-10 min for any thing to work?!?!?!?!?

When I try to add any new views there comes a point were I don't know if the mechine has hung up and I need to restart or do I just keep waiting. How can you tell the differance???

Has anyone else encountered these delays/problems and overcome them???

If so please pass on your knowlage!!!

Threads are probably what is causing this. They take up a LOT of resources: memory, cpu time, etc.

Unless absolutely necessary to show them, I would just change the model to show an approximation of the threads: major diamter or minor diameter or pitch diamter, which ever works for you.

If it is necessary to show them, I would suppress them in the model until I had everything else done in the drawing, and then turn them back on, just before printing out the drawing.

Hope this helps! :D

lcguias

Hi,

Alibre had problems with speed from day one.
My sugestion is to contact AA and send the file to them.
I don't believe that they will be able to do anything to help you but at least is something that will help them and us in fixing this problem (I hope)

Dan

jboorse

I also have this problem. The more lines, features, or what now, the worse it is. If you have a sketch that has thousands of lines, Alibre will be slow.

I started using the process of importing jpegs into drawings then importing into a new part sketch using img2cad.exe (or bmp2cad.exe, or jpg2dxf.exe... it is all the same program) from http://www.img2cad.com. This program (which can be improved on immensly... if anyone has a better idea PLEASE TELL ME), allows for jpegs, bmps, tiffs, to be converted to dxf files, which can be imported into Alibre. The problem is that this program converts every curve, every change of angle into a line. At the end of the process there is literly thousands of lines from a complexed .jpg which slows down Alibre. What I do is be patient, simplify all the lines into one stetch and I am in business. But it is a pain in the butt with a slow Alibre.

Again, if someone has an easier way of converting a jpg into a drawing which can be used by Alibre, I would love to hear how.

sbenzie

Sorry I do not have that much experience, is this just with the Alibre drawing module, or is this the same with all other 3D CAD packages.

I can imagine helix's take alot of calculations - does a super powerful graphics card help this ??

Scott

swertel

Alibre Super User

Helix take a long time to calculate in any CAD system and bog down all CAD systems I'm familiar with: SolidEdge, SolidWorks, Alibre, UG, CATIA.

A better graphics card only helps to a certain extent. Remembering that hidden edges are not always calculated and when you rotate a helix, those edges now have to be calculated, not just displayed. This is where the CPU gets to do its part, and RAM, and FSB speed, etc.

Basically, as stated before, use cosmetic representations for threads as much as possible and only put the helix in as the last feature in the tree, or keep it suppressed.

sbenzie

What about non-helixed parts, is Alibre particularly slow or in the ball park of other packages. I have seen some comments about java vs. .NET would this speed things up much ?? Or is the problem really just 3D CAD and all the work the CPU has to-do ...

Regards,
Scott

swertel

Alibre Super User

Performance is a hot topic for every CAD package.

Basically, the pattern repeats itself as follows:
CAD package runs great.
Users scream for more features.
More features get added.
Performance suffers because of additional code.
Users scream for better performance.
Code rewritten for better performance.
Users scream that not as many new features are being offered with each release. "What is my maintenance $$$ going towards?"
More features get added.
Users scream.
etc.

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

swertel said:
Performance is a hot topic for every CAD package.

Basically, the pattern repeats itself as follows:
CAD package runs great.
Users scream for more features.
More features get added.
Users scream for better performance.
Code rewritten for better performance.
Users scream that not as many new features are being offered with each release. "What is my maintenance $$$ going towards?"
More features get added.
Users scream.
etc.

aghhhhhhhh (scream) :p :p :p

That was for more performance :!: :wink: That is what the development team is working on, and I think they are on target. The 2D performance of assemblies is painful. Even if I purchased my dream system for hardware, it would still be painful (the problem will need to be fixed in the software).