What's new

TIP 3D loft with simple way to create 3D sketch without trim

Drutort

Ok, I did this for a user, its something that I figured out on my own, since I do not do lofts often nor 3d Sketches but I thought that this is best way to many complex lofts that require a partial 3d sketch for the loft.

Step one
Create your loft sketches in this example that I will upload of a users 3 sketches, start, middle, end (my work is renamed at bottom of file)
(note the loft done before by other user)

Next we need the guide curves, well first guide is simple, just a 1/4 of a circle for top section only 2D sketch

Next we want a 3D sketch, for our bottom guide which is also a 1/4 of a circle, some users will do this hard way with points and connecting spline/curve

We can project a spline no problem in 3D sketch! BUT you will see there are NO TRIM commands!
So how do we get exact 1/4 3D sketch?

The answer is far simpler, create a cut extrusion that only keeps the 1/4 of the part that we want to project our 3d sketch!

Next is simple, do the basic loft operation, the 3 sketches start, mid, end

next we use the guide curves the 2d one and the 3d sketch that we created!

Ok you might ask, this gives only a 1/4 of the loft for the user!

no problem, we will mirror the loft! then mirror the loft and the mirror over to the other side!

now you have finished feature in no time!

Attachments

• Chimney-Oldbelt 3D sketch project.zip
    635.9 KB · Views: 32
  • start.jpg
    start.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 28
  • cut part for 3d sketch.jpg
    cut part for 3d sketch.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 47

Drutort

ok, here are some pics.

Hope this helps?

sorry they ended up with wrong order
first pic is last

Attachments

• loft sketchs selected in blue.jpg
    loft sketchs selected in blue.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 32
  • loft done.jpg
    loft done.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 22
  • mirror the loft- mirror 2nd time.jpg
    mirror the loft- mirror 2nd time.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 25

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Yes, thank you, very helpful!

I presume that after the extrude-cut is performed, the beginning and end sketches are created by projecting the vertices from the cut part... and another extrude cut on plane-8 for the same process on the middle sketch.

Drutort

TylerDurden said:
Yes, thank you, very helpful!

Your welcome.

I presume that after the extrude-cut is performed, the beginning and end sketches are created by projecting the vertices from the cut part... and another extrude cut on plane-8 for the same process on the middle sketch.

yes you can project the extrude cut edges and you need to draw the radius manually though, because well your defining your loft, but the supporting lines can be drawn and then simply connected, and again simply use existing cross sectional as a projected sketch or draw one on it.

The one in the middle is done is same manner with the plane, I presume you can do a a extrude cut or simply a cross sectional with that plane being your divider

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Drutort said:
Step oneCreate your loft sketches in this example that I will upload of a users 3 sketches, start, middle, end (my work is renamed at bottom of file)(note the loft done before by other user)Next we need the guide curves, well first guide is simple, just a 1/4 of a circle for top section only 2D sketchNext we want a 3D sketch, for our bottom guide which is also a 1/4 of a circle, some users will do this hard way with points and connecting spline/curveWe can project a spline no problem in 3D sketch! BUT you will see there are NO TRIM commands!So how do we get exact 1/4 3D sketch? The answer is far simpler, create a cut extrusion that only keeps the 1/4 of the part that we want to project our 3d sketch!Next is simple, do the basic loft operation, the 3 sketches start, mid, endnext we use the guide curves the 2d one and the 3d sketch that we created!Ok you might ask, this gives only a 1/4 of the loft for the user!no problem, we will mirror the loft! then mirror the loft and the mirror over to the other side! now you have finished feature in no time!
One thinks I don't understand:
How is it possible to do loft with open 2D Sketch? (Loft sketches selected in blue)
I have the PRODUCTVERSION (14,0,4,14056), 32-bit and PRODUCTVERSION (15,0,2,15088),32 & 64

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Hi Giov, The sketches are closed, hard to see in the picture.

Attached is a similar example by Ralf where you can see the sketches.

Attachments

• Dol_Tank-3D-points-3D-Sketches.AD_PRT
    429.5 KB · Views: 14

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Thanks TylerDurden,
I figured out, right now I understand the concept.Only one thinks that had happened when I downloaded the file. The guide curve 3D sketch 5 don't run with the other one as you see in the screenshots below:

Attachments

• Loft without Sketch 5.JPG
    Loft without Sketch 5.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Loft with Sketch 5.JPG
    Loft with Sketch 5.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 27
  • Loft only with Sketch5.JPG
    Loft only with Sketch5.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 31

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Hi Giov,

Yes, there is an error I cannot explain, but I have now cheated with sketch-1 to avoid the error and provide a better example of Drutort's tip.

Attachments

• Dol_Tank-3D-points-3D-Sketches-X.AD_PRT
    735 KB · Views: 17