What's new

Training for API/VB

swertel

Alibre Super User
Training for API/VB

Having not yet downloaded SP1, I haven't seen the documentation for the API. But, I have heard that the API uses Visual Basic and not vb.net or C.

Is this true?

Second question -
I've never taken a formal VB training class. Can anyone recommend a good one, or is it even needed. Can I put simple macros together without formal training based on the documentation for the API and VB (from Microsoft)?

cclark440

Alibre Super User

I find it hard to believe that you can't use C, or any other language that can access the .dll file. I used Borland's C++ Builder V6. I have opened it and looked at all of the calls and properties that are in the file, but I haven't really had a chance to try anything yet.

I am kinda waiting for the documentation to at least get me pointed in the right direction.

Mibe

Alibre Super User
Re: Training for API/VB

swertel said:
Having not yet downloaded SP1, I haven't seen the documentation for the API. But, I have heard that the API uses Visual Basic and not vb.net or C.

Is this true?

Second question -
I've never taken a formal VB training class. Can anyone recommend a good one, or is it even needed. Can I put simple macros together without formal training based on the documentation for the API and VB (from Microsoft)?

VB 6.0 is the case. It works excellent with these kinds of applications and it's rather easy to get started with. VB is not very popular amongst "real" programmers, but that's in areas that a CAD API seldom enters.

The macro is another story, it's not the way the API works today. I have read the documentation for the API and they are not completed yet, there are still some tutorials/samples that needs to be included before it's possible to take off with ease...

siggy

Looks like the API is just that - a programmer's API. Definitely not a simple macro or scripting add on.

If you're familiar with Microsoft COM and Object Oriented Programming in general then you shouldn't have too many problems using the API's. If you don't have any COM experience then you've got a long road ahead to get much use of the API.

BTW, any COM compliant language can be used to access the API calls.

cdub

vb 6

I'm not too familiar with this yet, but can you use the api interface in ms excel and write programs there that utilize the alibre api calls?