What's new

Trying to get this odd pattern for a material

JST

Alibre Super User
Got a need for a material pattern of grinding marks on steel. One might think that "brushed" could be messed with until it worked...... but the brushing/grinding pattern is the big deal.....

I need a pattern similar to the picture, but with the marks starting tangent to a raised part in the middle of a saw. It's the hollow grind on a circular saw blade, which needs to be there to look at all realistic, and since the client sells saws, they want the blade to look just like a saw, complete with marks.

The marks could be straight instead of curved.

I have no idea how to make this pattern, neither the curved lines, nor the tangent line pattern. I need to create this textue map, I think, but the manual and tutorials are not helping. The keyshot forum is not really active right now, I asked over there, but have have gotten no replies and only a few views so far.

I have a dim recollection of maps being created from a jpeg, but I saw nothing relevant to that.

Attachments

• saw grind pattern.JPG
    saw grind pattern.JPG
    439.8 KB · Views: 12

jhiker

Alibre Super User
If you can find a suitable picture (or make one) you can apply it to the saw model as a Colour and/or Bump map which may help you.
You can also generate bump maps from photographs in GIMP.

Here's a quick example - not quite what you want but it illustrates the point.

Attachments

• saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 15

JST

Alibre Super User
That may be what I am remembering. But I cannot find a procedure for getting the picture turned into a map

JST

Alibre Super User
Well, I did the "squirrel" method of finding out. I tried everything I could think of, and pressed all the buttons to see what they did. Pretty much what the little fuzzy beasts do when they have a problem.

It seems that the texture patterns are saved as JPG, so I cut a piece of the picture out, and saved it in there.

Then, by dint of pressing lots of buttons, I found one that would let me insert the JPG into the rendering as a color or bump pattern. Unfortunately it was too small, and still tiled onto the part. So I have to take a new picture and try again.

Also, there seems to be no way to apply the picture in a pattern, so if you want it to be a circular "array", as the saw blade is, you must find, or make, a picture which is how you want it. The pattern you put in is the pattern you get, as-is, where-is, with all faults.

The item in the picture is a problem, because it has that big ugly number etched in it. I'll have to go down to my shop and see if I can find another that does not have that.

moral of this, as with so many other things, is the "squirrel" method gets results. Those squirrels have been optimized to use it over many thousands of years.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There are lots of quick tips and tutorials available at Keyshot web site, several of which relate to textures and how to use them.

This video might show a way of getting rid of the unwanted number on your texture https://youtu.be/9ZcpYJT7hmo

JST

Alibre Super User
When I went to the Meyshot site I found tutorials, but not that one. They were all far more basic, and not really helpful for this or other questions.

Where did you find that?

JST

Alibre Super User
Ah, thank you. Missed that.

I think probably G-Imp is more suited to disguising the number, but the facilities in Keyshot may indeed work for a lot of less "perfectly regular" items like the wood example. The grinding pattern is so well defined that only the very best copy and paste technique will cover it reasonably acceptably. A better picture would be best, and I'll look for a better model among the cutters etc before I try to fix that one. I'd have to take a new picture anyhow.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Have you searched the web for "Free Textures"? There may be something done already to suite your purposes.

JST

Alibre Super User
I got one, it's on the blade in the other post about the light sources. A bit subtle, but it is in reality also.

My fall-back was to take a better pic and fix up the number, but I have not had to yet. We'll see what the client thinks.