What's new

Uh-Oh V8.2 bug?

cclark440

Alibre Super User
Uh-Oh V8.2 bug?

Four times today Alibre has locked up when trying to open or save something. The first thing it happened on was an existing assembly. The most recent was a new simple part. As soon as I clicked save Alibre went off into some unknown routines that was maxing both of my CPUs. I ended up having to terminate the process each time. It wasn't taking anymore memory, just all of the CPU time.

Any one else have this happen to them :?:

jwknecht

Alibre Super User

I had something strange happen. It was taxing my CPU big time. But, I can't say if it was caused by a bug or if it was what I was doing. I had used Outline Art to make dxf font, imported into AD Drawing, exploded, pasted onto Part sketch, extruded. Also, had some weird behavoiur in some assys that went away after quitting the application and getting back in.

Poly Vector

Same problem with dxf imports with V8.2

I have been having the same problem with big slowdowns and almost hung up when importing dxf files and extruding. This started after I installed V8.2.

I lost a drawing earlier and had to redraw completey. Same part as above. It locked up and wouldn't let me save it. Had to reboot and couldn't open the file any longer.

Maybe I'll go back to 8.0.Didn't have these problems before.

gregmilliken

Alibre is on this

Folks,

I just saw this thread and have asked our development, QA and support teams to jump on this immediately.

They will likely need some more data to help reproduce it.

Thanks for making this known, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Greg Milliken
CEO
Alibre, Inc.

aa1

Cclark440, jwknecht, Poly Vector – At this time support has not encountered a commonality with crashing and memory consumption that would lend itself to a fix or a workaround, but that has raised a flag in my mind that we need to do some investigating. What I would like to do is to go ahead and make support incidents for all three of you, and work them independently, to see if these are a sign of a problem that we need to correct as soon as possible.

If this is ok with you, I will go ahead and do that. You can expect support to get a hold of you and ask for more information, and if you have the time, by all means feel free to let us know as much as possible.

Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing, but with your insight we should be able to get to the root of the problem quickly.

schmielecki

Re:

It did happen to me too. After I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.2 last week, on my dual processor PIII 800MHz(1Gig rambus) Dell machine, I found out I had to check the alibre.exe process and change its "affinity" property from "CPU0 and CPU1" to "CPU 0 or CPU1" in the TaskManager. That cleared the closing delay. Then I re-allocated the affinity to both CPU0 and CPU1 and went on working...

On my new P4 2.8GHz with HT(1Gig DDR2 400) Dell machine, it has not happen yet!!

Hope that helps some...

aa1 said:
Cclark440, jwknecht, Poly Vector – At this time support has not encountered a commonality with crashing and memory consumption that would lend itself to a fix or a workaround, but that has raised a flag in my mind that we need to do some investigating. What I would like to do is to go ahead and make support incidents for all three of you, and work them independently, to see if these are a sign of a problem that we need to correct as soon as possible.

If this is ok with you, I will go ahead and do that. You can expect support to get a hold of you and ask for more information, and if you have the time, by all means feel free to let us know as much as possible.

Sorry for any inconvenience this is causing, but with your insight we should be able to get to the root of the problem quickly.

warburton1

I am having a similar problem with my machine (a dual processor also), the VM size just keeps expanding whilst Alibre is open. It keeps building until the program becomes unusable or crashes. I placed an incident yesterday, thinking it was graphics but it has also happened a few times today without crashing but becoming unusable. On this last occasion I had open a very small weldment assy of ten flat plates, no holes, machined features etc. Each flat plate was of no more than 6-10 faces each, my VM size kept expanding until it peaked at 1.5Gb and Alibre kept getting slower and slower until it was unusable. I eventually had to crash the program just to close it. Fortunately this time I had saved just prior.

I used to notice a similar fault on Catia V5 with a dual processor system I used with a client. Maybe there is a downside to owning dual processors afterall :?

gjordan

I have a single proc AMD 64 system and have experienced similar behavior (pagefile growing over time). In addition, I had left a fairly large assembly open for a couple of hours (just minimized, not working with it), and when I went to close it, Alibre proc usage went to 100%, stayed there, then after about five minutes of thrashing, silently disappeared. I can't say for certain whether it finally closed or just crashed...

steved

Page file increasing

I have the same problem with the page file gradually increasing in size,each time I access another folder from my repository, there does not seem a way to close a folder in the repository once oppened.
I increased my memory last week to from 1.0 to 1.5 GB this has helped but just delays the problem,Alibre gets slower and slower eventually I have to shut down Alibre and re-open Alibre.

aa1

First, I appreciate everyone taking the time to post these potential issues. I am going to go ahead and treat this as a problem until I find out otherwise. I plan on absorbing all the posts and coming up with a detailed plan that I can forward to development. From there, they will see if they can put a finger on what is occurring, with the main objectives to identify, correct, and provide zap packs (if applicable).

Again, thank you all for raising these issues, and it is my hopes that this has not caused too much inconvenience. If you encounter anything else that may help us resolve this issue, please feel free to let me know.

schmielecki

Re:

The previous PIII is decommissionned!!! I would not be able to repeat the problem like I could before. And my PIV has now 2Gig of memory and it has not created any problem for now. Thanks!!

schmielecki said:
It did happen to me too. After I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.2 last week, on my dual processor PIII 800MHz(1Gig rambus) Dell machine, I found out I had to check the alibre.exe process and change its "affinity" property from "CPU0 and CPU1" to "CPU 0 or CPU1" in the TaskManager. That cleared the closing delay. Then I re-allocated the affinity to both CPU0 and CPU1 and went on working...

On my new P4 2.8GHz with HT(1Gig DDR2 400) Dell machine, it has not happen yet!!

Hope that helps some...

aa1 said: