What's new

Ultrabook suitable?

EPowIPi

Considering to get a convertible ultrabook (e.g. something 1165g7 or 5800u based), mainly for the compactness, (lack of) weight, battery life and digitizer support that many of these more compact models have.
Has anybody tried one of these with Alibre? Is the onboard GPU sufficient for simple to moderately complex projects? And how does Alibre cope with the Intel /AMD onboard GPU drivers (or vice versa...)?

Acara

Depends probably more on the GPU than anything since the processor will be capable and RAM can be upgraded. I have extensive SOLIDWORKS experience and I assume that this program (although I admittedly haven't used it nearly as much) is somewhat comparable in the way that it runs. You're going to want to run a decent GPU I would imagine, intel graphics may work for some smaller assemblies but going further up in models with shading and lots of geometry may be a different story. You may want to check out some of the older company retired Z Books or Dell Precision 3 or 5 series. I bought a 3510 with 32GB of RAM and a Xeon with a FirePro GPU for about $600 2 years after it came out and I'm still slaying away at stuff. Other PC's like Z Books or certain Precision models weight slightly more than an ultrabook but are around $200-1000 depending on budget and will certainly out perform an ultra book. We even use gaming PC's at work for our modeling in Inventor honestly.

oilman

I primarily run Alibre on a desktop, but found it works quite well on a recent model HP Spectre x360. It's a fairly light/compact convertible but still includes a dedicated GPU. The model I have includes 16gb ram, SSD, i7, along with the dedicated GPU. I gambled with an open box model which shaved $500 off the retail price.

I have an old laptop without a dedicated GPU that I keep in the garage for driving my CNC router. It's an older Dell ultrabook with Intel Iris. Works great modifying simple parts. It's not something I'd use on a daily basis though.