What's new

Unable to create ref points in Assembly mode in Design Pro

wphred

I've been trying to create a reference point using two point interpolation in assembly mode with no luck.

1. I select Point under References
2. The Insert Point screen pops up.
3. A note pops up to enter coordinates or select source geometry.
4. I select the geometry, in this case a beam.
5. Under Creation Method I choose Two Points Interpolation. At this point the Select Geometry window goes blank.
6. I try selecting a vertex one end of the beam, but nothing happens.

There is probably something to turn on, but I don't know what it is.

I'm using Alibre Design Pro, V27 64 bit, build 27309, on an MSI Raider GE76, running Windows 11

Suggestions? Do you need additional information?

wphred

Thank you, Harold. I got the point I wanted, but not the way I thought it would work. I followed the first article, inserting a point between two existing points, but was unable to select the vertex at the corner of the beam. I selected an edge and a point was generated at the edge's midpoint, the interpolation ratio being a default of .5.

What this tells me is that a vertex does not have a point. Am I missing something here?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Note that a Point has a particular meaning and is not the same as a Vertex.

Selection filter is not enabled for vertices of solids in assemblies - this can at times be VERY annoying. There isn't even an option to turn this on for solids (no idea why not, sorry).

Edges are selectable - which may give an alternative in some cases.

Do take care when defining assembly reference geometry from components in the assembly - it's more robust to define reference geometry at the part level then 'show reference geometry' of the part in the assembly.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think you need to manually insert a point at the vertex before you can use the interpolation method.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I think you need to manually insert a point at the vertex before you can use the interpolation method.
But in assembly you can't select the vertex, so can't add the point.

You have to edit the part to do this.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
........... Selection filter is not enabled for vertices of solids in assemblies - this can at times be VERY annoying. There isn't even an option to turn this on for solids (no idea why not, sorry). ........
I wish we could have an explanation of why vertex selection isn't available in assembly space. I've moaned about this since 2006. We recently gained the ability to add a point to a vertex in an indirect way by selecting an edge. Why not directly?