What's new

updated to 6, lost ALL materials and template files.....

JST

Alibre Super User
Not happy at all about this, as I have quite a lot of stuff for which I now have nothing at all, just white parts.

So many programs handle their own updates seamlessly that it didn't occur to me that I would lose everything I had ever done.

If I knew where the materials and templates had been stored, that would likely have helped also.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
The Keyshot resources are placed in your 'My Documents' folder.

Have you checked the folder paths in Keyshot under 'Edit/Preferences/Folders'

Attachments

• 2016-04-06_09h17_12.jpg
    2016-04-06_09h17_12.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 12

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Another thing to note is that each version has its resources stored in a directory for that version ! So an upgrade is not really an upgrade, but an addition to!

Best thing to do is to put your resources in a top level directory of your own naming and then each time a new version comes out copy the new materials to 'your' library and change the folder paths to point to 'your' library. That way you maintain your structure and keyshot updates will never write over it.

I've got a 'C' Compiler that does the same thing and its really annoying! ... an update should update what you already have (but I guess its the safe option if you've changed the out-of-the-box materials, etc).

JST

Alibre Super User
jhiker said:
The Keyshot resources are placed in your 'My Documents' folder.

Have you checked the folder paths in Keyshot under 'Edit/Preferences/Folders'

It never would have occurred to me that they would be put there. I went looking for it under program data, and in the program folders, where such stuff normally is (as has been the case with Autocad, many Microsoft programs, etc).

Kyle

During installation you are prompted to install the application for "Only for me" and "Everybody".

Install for "Everybody" is the default selection. This also determines the default location of where the resource files, i.e. materials will be stored.

The default path when "Everybody" is selected is to C:\Users\Public\Documents and you are prompted during install if this is the location you would like to store the resources. You can change this to any location you choose.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 8
Prior to V2016.1.1, the information for many things was located it C:\Users\Lew\AppData\Roaming\Alibre Design\lew_merrick directory. After V2016.1.1 update, this data was moved to C:\Users\Lew\AppData\Roaming\Alibre Design\default user. This took me by surprise.

JST

Alibre Super User
OK, So I copied over the template files to the new location under Keyshot 6. Makes no sense for me to point back to the OLD location under keyshot 5, as that is now obsolete, and might be deleted.

The blamed things STILL do not show up. The pointer is properly showing the true location, but no templates appear for use in the program. I still have all white parts

Then also, am I going to have to dig each material that I added out of its location in the KS5 stuff, and add it to the KS 6 materials? For those I cannot just replace the whole file, because that would lose any new materials that may be in 6.

Yet another case where "default" and "user" data should have been separated, but apparently was not.

JST

Alibre Super User
Now, when I went back to it, the template files are showing up. At least the names are present.

But they do not work. Nothing happens if I apply them. Nothing happens if I try to import them, which was suggested elsewhere. In fact, at least some of the existing template files seem to now be empty, as if they had been cleared when the required un-install of 5 was performed.

Everything was working fine until I upgraded to 6.... which is supposed to be better, etc, etc.... NOT SO FAR!

And, of course, the manual (no help file) is not very helpful. I am not sure it is up to date.

Why does NOBODY REALISE........ The way this stuff should work, YOU WRITE THE MANUAL FIRST! Then the programmers write to code TO DO THE TASK THAT WAY. If they must change something, then you change the manual to match before the make the change.

if you cannt do that, then include the relevant manual changes in the ECO..... it;'s an "affected document".

JST

Alibre Super User
Managed to scam an installer for 5 (which did NOT require 6 to be uninstalled, btw).

Exported all the material templates using 5.

Now there is an odd situation..... NOW, in 6, a few items AUTOMATICALLY come up with the correct materials. The rest do NOT do that, PLUS, I cannot assign a template to them. No idea why. I can select one, and click on the "apply to scene", but it still does not work.

I do have several templates that are nearly the same, they may be missing a material or two, but in my experience that just leaves an item white, it does not cause an error. But not for the ones that will not take a template, they won't take any template.

Even if they had one assigned, it seems I have just assigned another over the old one, and all has worked fine. So even if the ones in question had some other template assigned, they should still accept a new one. And since these are all different versions of a base template, most of it ought to apply, and the parts should be properly assigned.

JST

Alibre Super User
Stiil same...
Everything NEW works fine, old stuff mostly does not, although some do.

As usual, lights were not saved, despite being "materials".