What's new

User Gallery Limits

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Max,

What are the limits to file size, etc., when uploading the User Gallery? I tried to create a new album and was warned that I'd reached my limit.o_O:confused: I can not find if they are posted anywhere, other than the error/warning message I got. It would be nice to know this from the start. Does that mean that in order to add more images to your albums you need to delete a previous upload?

(I had this posted on the New Features Overview section but thought I'd repost here to see if it got an more attention.)

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Max image size is 10MB, though I should lower that.

Max total upload per user into their galleries was 50MB, I have changed it to 100MB.

Max images you can upload at a time was 10, changed to 15.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Thanks Max,
Sooo...given the limit on image size it may be better to not upload any hi-res images and just stick to something in the 640x400 or 800x600 range. OR plan on a "remove and replace" maintenance plan for your gallery if you upload large images.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
"640x400 or 800x600 range"

No, please no!

I would say don't upload unnecessarily large images, for example 9000x4000 renders - resize them to a max of 3840x2160 (4k). A 4K JPG is probably under 1 MB. Most people won't run into the limit - if you do just hit me up and I will up your limit. Don't want any upload throttling of cool stuff!

Ken226

Alibre Super User
"640x400 or 800x600 range"

No, please no!

I would say don't upload unnecessarily large images, for example 9000x4000 renders - resize them to a max of 3840x2160 (4k). A 4K JPG is probably under 1 MB. Most people won't run into the limit - if you do just hit me up and I will up your limit. Don't want any upload throttling of cool stuff!

I tried to upload an image today, but got the following message:

1707161805881.png

I tried to go back and delete some old images to create space, but couldn't find a way to delete anything. Is there a way to delete old images, or maybe replace them with smaller images to create space?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I tried to upload an image today, but got the following message:
I tried to go back and delete some old images to create space, but couldn't find a way to delete anything. Is there a way to delete old images, or maybe replace them with smaller images to create space?

Hi Ken, first ensure you aren't uploading huge PNG files. The PNG format is great for maximum possible quality; however this image is almost 15MB in size, and for showing stuff off on the web there is almost no reason to use something that high quality.

Open the image and save it as a JPG file. If you see an option for JPG compression, choose something like 75. That will turn this image into probably a 1mb file.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Hi Ken, first ensure you aren't uploading huge PNG files. The PNG format is great for maximum possible quality; however this image is almost 15MB in size, and for showing stuff off on the web there is almost no reason to use something that high quality.

Open the image and save it as a JPG file. If you see an option for JPG compression, choose something like 75. That will turn this image into probably a 1mb file.

Ok, will do.

So, this isn't a cumulative, overall gallery limit that I've exceeded with all of previous images, but a per image limit?

Edit:
It uploaded fine as a .jpg, but apparently there is an overall gallery limit. I won't be able to upload any more images going forward unless I go back and replace some previously uploaded .png images with smaller .jpg files.

Is there a way to do this? I can't seem to figure out how.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It may be, not sure. I'll have to look into it. Regardless even if I doubled your global limit you would still only be able to upload 1 more PNG file that big, so we should start with getting those file sizes down.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, will do.

So, this isn't a cumulative, overall gallery limit that I've exceeded with all of previous images, but a per image limit?

Looks like the current max file size is 10mb and the per-user global limit is 100mb.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
It may be, not sure. I'll have to look into it. Regardless even if I doubled your global limit you would still only be able to upload 1 more PNG file that big, so we should start with getting those file sizes down.

How do I do that? I can't seem to find a way to delete or replace the older images.

Ex Machina

Same here, tried to delete a link to my video I uploaded in the gallery and couldn't. David helped and did it for me.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do you see this:
I went thru the same issues a some time back and replied that I DO NOT have the option to delete an image. I thought someone was going to add that, or at least find out why it wasn't available.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I was just trying to upload a new image to the gallery, and am still at my limit.

Since it appears that i fix won't be possible on this issue, is it possible for someone with sufficient privileges to delete all of the .png's from my gallery images?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It looks like you need Admin rights in order to delete anything from the gallery. I tried the 'Select for moderation" once but nothing happened with the image. It seemed like my selection didn't persist after I logged out.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I tried the same, with the same results. Perhaps @DavidJ could delete those .png files for me? That would clear up quite a bit of space.