What's new

Using a Stream Deck with Alibre

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Having not seen one until your previous post, I've now found them available on Amazon and a few other sites.

Could you put a few posts on here as to how you set it up to work with Alibre ... like a mini tutorial. Maybe a pros and cons too. Thanks.

Edit: i.e, can each button be assigned to a sequence of key presses or just a single press?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Yes, sure. I'll be posting everything I find out about it. Only received it yesterday so, I'm still getting the hang of it myself....

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Edit: i.e, can each button be assigned to a sequence of key presses or just a single press?
There are various actions that you can assign to a button. Hotkey; Hotkey Switch; Text etc. Certain actions can be compounded in a Multi Action. Hotkey only records one key plus any modifier keys. I doubt if Text will do what you require! A hotkey can be used in conjunction with AutoHotkey, of course. Anyway, see: https://www.reddit.com/r/ElgatoGami...ream_deck_feature_request_macros_or_advanced/

MilesH

Alibre Super User
After playing around with variations on the high mount in the first photo, I couldn't achieve a really comfortable position. Also, I tended to jog the Space Navigator puck when pressing the buttons..... Anyway, I'm now using it flat, alongside the Space Navigator. The feet aren't very grippy so, a bit of Blue Tack on each is needed.

Set up 3 reduced.jpg

MilesH

Alibre Super User
I'm completely sold on this gizmo.............

Sketching is the area where the greatest gains are so I set up a Profile for that first. I created a Dimension key that activates the Dimension tool and simultaneously switches to another Stream Deck Profile which contains the keys of my custom numberpad to input the data. :cool:

MilesH

Alibre Super User
The display area for each key is 72px x 72px. If you add a larger image it will resize to fit. If you add an image smaller than 72px x 72px, it will centre it in the space and leave a black border around it.

The maximum size of the Alibre icons is 60px x 60px. I up-resed them to tidy them up and then saved them at 72px x 72px. There really is no need to do this though. In fact if you're viewing the keys at an oblique angle it's better to use a smaller size. So, 60px x 60px is fine. There may be a more direct way to get at the images but I just set the icon size to Large and loaded up a Custom Toolbar with all the tools I needed, putting a separator between each. Then just did a screencap and cropped them apart in Affinity.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Here's a folder with all the icons that I've acquired, so far. There are two versions: 144 px size and 60 px size. Try both to see which you prefer.

Attachments

• Stream Deck Labels.zip
    365.6 KB · Views: 16

swertel

Alibre Super User
The price of the device is a little high for me to try out. I put it on my wishlist, though. Maybe someday in the future, or in my case, the distant past. I can't remember the name of the device, but I did manage to find an online image of a typical CATIA mainframe workstation setup. Notice the dials for rotate/pan/zoom and the custom keyboard for command inputs.
View media item 599

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It reminds me a little of the CADAM keypads we used to have on our CADAM workstations.
It'll be interesting to hear how it works out for you.

PeterG

MilesH, did you have any luck fleshing out your Streamdeck profile? Would you be willing to share the profile? I have a Streamdeck, and a Streamdeck mini that I've been playing with, and I can see a lot of uses in my CAD efforts... I'd love to try a profile that has already been somewhat vetted, before going down the custom route. (btw, thanks for posting the icons!)

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Hi Peter, I've attached the two profiles that I use. Let me know if you have any problems with them. It's a pity that proper macros never came to Stream Deck.... I guess their exclusion was part of the agreement between Elgato and the Taiwanese company that developed the Infinitton keypad.

Attachments

• DefaultProfile.sdProfile.zip
    609.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DefaultSubProfile.sdProfile.zip
    571 bytes · Views: 6
Last edited:

PeterG

MilesH, thank you very much! Unfortunately those are the application template files, and don't actually contain any config...
If you don't mind, you can export from the application:
-Open the Streamdeck app and click the Gear icon in the upper right corner.
-Click the profiles tab.
-Right click the profile(s) and click Export.
Thank you Miles! I sincerely appreciate your time an effort!

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Lol! I've only done the two profiles and that was 3 years ago :)

Try these.

Attachments

• Alibre Sketch Tools.zip
    43.7 KB · Views: 7
  • NumberPad.zip
    33.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

LDabkey

I'm having trouble using my Streamdeck and Alibre design. I have assigned keystroke shortcuts under Alibre system properties. They work well within Alibre. When I assign a hotkey in my streamdeck Alibre profile, they don't work. Any ideas? I'm guessing I have to enable Alibre to communicate with Streamdeck?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Not sure. I just have 'Application' set to 'None' in Preferences/Profiles. I only use Stream Deck with Alibre, though.

As an old timer I have to pipe in. This reminds me of a PFK (program function keyboard) used in Unigraphics pre-solid modeling. After 33 years I still remember punch sequences that could be pushed before a bathroom break while it carried out the functions, a series of graphics refresh carried out by a processor set the size of a medium suitcase.

This setup is very interesting, thanks for sharing.

LDabkey

Not sure. I just have 'Application' set to 'None' in Preferences/Profiles. I only use Stream Deck with Alibre, though.
Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion and it didn't work...very puzzling. My Streamdeck works great for all my other programs...just not Alibre Design. I'm puzzled.