What's new

Using decals for visual enhancement

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Does Alibre have a "decal" feature ?

No. Unfortunately, I am not aware of anything like that.

I have seen older threads referring to creating labels as separate parts, using a very thin extrude, then adding them to the part in an assembly.

I have been intending to play with that idea to see what happens, but havn't done anything yet.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
It looks easy enough for simple labels. It's just a matter of how much effort you would be willing to invest. I created the 1-2-3 gear labels using the above mentioned method. It took a few minutes.

1662679617177.png

The numbers, borders and inside region are different faces. , I applied a different face color to each, to allow for selecting different colors in Keyshot.

Headstock Assembly.bip.21.jpg

And one for the lower F/R lever:

ForwardReverse Sticker.22.jpg

Edited to add:

Still playing around with this idea. The "project" tool in conjunction with a really thin raised feature, and different face colors allows for a decent simulation of a wrapped vinyl decal:

1662692408311.png
untitled.23.jpg

Untitled.jpg

qctp.25.jpg

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Still playing around with this idea. The "project" tool in conjunction with a really thin raised feature, and different face colors allows for a decent simulation of a wrapped vinyl decal:

I should have tried that with this label I created for my tool chest model. I made it as a part with extruded text in order to follow the contours of the lid..

1662743316785.png

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I should have tried that with this label I created for my tool chest model. I made it as a part with extruded text in order to follow the contours of the lid..

View attachment 37208

That appears to have worked quite well!

I've been using a thickness of about .0005" for these labels, about the thickness of a single coat of Cerakote.

I think an average sheet of notebook paper is .004". Creating labels is actually a bit easier than I expected.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I just tried it and found that Wrap is missing from the Part Ribbon in Sheet Metal. o_O
I'm sending this to Support and hope this is just an oversight and can be fixed real soon.

Top ribbon is Part modeling in sheet metal.
Bottom ribbon is the part modeling ribbon.
Part Ribbon for Sheet Metal and  Part RIbbon.png

jfleming

Alibre Super User
That appears to have worked quite well!

I've been using a thickness of about .0005" for these labels, about the thickness of a single coat of Cerakote.

I think an average sheet of notebook paper is .004". Creating labels is actually a bit easier than I expected.

Most vinyls are between 3 and 6 mils or .076-.152" thickness.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Most vinyls are between 3 and 6 mils or .076-.152" thickness.

Are you certain of that?

I was using " in place of the correct double prime symbol, to indicate inches. 6 mils is .006 inches. Which is .152mm

A vinyl decal .152" thick would be quite thick indeed.:) But .152mm would be about right.

Didnt an airplane crash once due to such conversion errors while fueling? :0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220909-120713.png
    Screenshot_20220909-120713.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 6

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Are you certain of that?

I was using " in place of the correct double prime symbol, to indicate inches. 6 mils is .006 inches. Which is .152mm

A vinyl decal .152" thick would be quite thick indeed.:) But .152mm would be about right.

Didn an airplane crash once die to such conversion errors while fueling? :0

That was typo on my end, but yes, 2 mils, (vehicle wraps), 3 mils (outdoor signage & "stickers"), 21 mils (powersports graphics)