What's new

Using two graphics cards

cdw3423

I'm planing on upgrading from onboard graphics to a real graphics card. I'm looking at the Nvidia RTX A Series cards. I'm probably going to get the A4000. Looking at the numbers it seems the A6000 has about twice the processing power and triple the memory as the A4000 but it costs over four times as much. I was wondering how close to A6000 performance I could get by using two A4000 cards?

BobSchaefer

So, several things to think about here. First, Alibre will better take advantage of gaming graphics cards rather than professional graphics cards. It uses Direct-X rather than OpenGL, so if you're looking to spend the money, you're better off with the gaming GPUs. Secondly, I don't believe the A4000 or even the gaming GPUs support using multiple cards anymore, so using two probably isn't going to do much and may not even work.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'm planing on upgrading from onboard graphics to a real graphics card.

Do you use KeyShot for any rendering? If you do then maybe the A4000 will be good enough for that. I just got a new Puget Systems workstation specifically to run KeyShot and Alibre. I did ask about support for DirectX 11 and after conversation with Puget the suggested system, within my budget, has a RTX A4000 gpu and an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core Processor 3.69 GHz. So far I have had no issues with Alibre but have noted that some functions complete faster, mainly I think because of the cpu than the gpu. What I do like is the faster res up of real time images and rendering in KS compared to my laptop. Time will tell but, for me, I think it was a good purchase.

cdw3423

Alibre will better take advantage of gaming graphics cards rather than professional graphics cards. It uses Direct-X rather than OpenGL, so if you're looking to spend the money, you're better off with the gaming GPUs
According to Nvidia the RTX A series card drivers have support for Direct-X 12. And the drivers for those cards are better tested and more stable than the gaming cards.