What's new

V23 - "Other" Requests.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
What else would you like fixed? What other things are in your top 10 annoyances?
Like the official thread, just post a simple, one line description, one per post.
If someone else has posted a pet hate of yours, just like their post rather than posting the same thing again.

NOTE:- This is NOT an official thread, it guarantees NOTHING, but it puts it out there and allows a tally of the common ones.

My "suggestions" deal with the Drafting module. (1) Being able to set the "default" Font and Pitch for Notes (tied to the Drawing Format files) tops my list here. (2) Being able to define Layer of placement for Item Identities, Bill of Material, Feature Control Block, and the like (also tied to the Drawing Format identity) follows a close 2nd. (3) Being able to have "Character Pitch Offset Tab" identities (such that entering a Tab early on in a Note Line leaps (say) "5X Character Pitch) is my next "I hope for" improvement. -- Lew

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I'd like to see the ability to create an offset surface feature that can be used as a target to extrude when extruding sketches. As you can in Solidworks. Would facilitate text/logo's on curved surfaces, stiffening ribs on thin wall and shelled forms, etc

jc-s

Facility to create groups of features to help organise workflow and make it easier to maintain designs in the future. For example, a group that contains a set of features such as bosses, cuts, fillets etc defines a "feature group". This feature group can then be copied, mirrored etc just like any other feature. Later when you go back to it, the group documents what you've done, and prevents parts of the feature group getting lost if you have to move this feature group to a different part of the hierarchy.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Be aware (as Max said) - v23 will very much be about polishing existing capabilities, not adding totally new features.

Facility to create groups of features to help organise workflow and make it easier to maintain designs in the future. For example, a group that contains a set of features such as bosses, cuts, fillets etc defines a "feature group". This feature group can then be copied, mirrored etc just like any other feature. Later when you go back to it, the group documents what you've done, and prevents parts of the feature group getting lost if you have to move this feature group to a different part of the hierarchy.
My "requests" in this regard deal with the "grouping" of Constraints such that (say) One "block" of Constraints is turned on to show a specific "operational condition" that automagically turns off a related "block" of Constraints that, when "activated." The "example" I submitted to Alibre (something more than a year ago) was of a piece of farm equipment where "guides" applied in on usage but were "deactivated" and other "guides" applied when the usage was "reversed." Thus, I could define it as (say):

Group Fwd:
Constraint <41>
Constraint <42>
Constraint <43>​
End Fwd:
Group Aft:
Constraint <44>
Constraint <45>
Constraint <46>​
End Aft:

Thus, because they are "defined together" either "Fwd" or "Aft" is "active" and the alternate is "suppressed." Would such an ability make things simpler & more powerful for you??? -- Lew

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Ahem...I could probably add a few items to this list but just how many threads are we going to have "suggesting" improvements or enhancements to Alibre? It seems like we have new list for each version release and we do have the Feedback section of the forum to post these things. Isn't that enough?

Drutort

I think constraints as far as easy tracking of working and broken constraints is a key thing.

The big issue I have is that something happens in an assembly, and you see a bunch of broken constraints, you have to manual go and click on each to track them.

Yes the selection should show what they are constraint with the surfaces or what not that are constrained but when those areas are really small features or axis or something else, it is very hard to find them.

I would like a double click on main constraint and it automatically expands the the constraints in that are in the parts so I can easy track it and look at it.

Next the broken constraints, I would love it if their would be some past "last known good state" of a constraint so that I could jump and fix whatever it was that caused it to be broken, often If I do not label the constraints what happens I just waste a bunch of time looking and trying to back pedal and find to what the constraint belonged, because if its a generic plane or axis, or both features are gone from the constraint, you get NOTHING!

Right now this is annoying me, as we got so many nice face lifts to constraints and updates, this area is a big problem

Nick952

I'd like a button above the Design Explorer that when clicked returns you back to editing the Assembly for when Edit Here or Edit in Separate Window was used. I would settle for a toolbar button for this.

Doesn't a RMB click on the Assembly Title/Name in the Design Explorer, already give you the return option?

jfleming

Alibre Super User
A way to "step thru" the features, instead of just "Generate to Last Feature", be able to "Generate to Next Feature"

and to go along with that, does anyone else find dragging the "dogbone" to be really sensitive???

JST

Alibre Super User
A "single step" command for the design explorer would definitely be of use, although not super high on my list.

Much higher is a fix for the silly errors messages that occur when applying constraints that have "second steps" to them, like "offset". I've mentioned and demonstrated some common conditions that require clearing two errors before a perfectly "legal" constraint can be applied.

Also about errors.... Fix the errors during "edit here" by suspending errors during the edit. This is the problem of moving up the design tree, and the real-time linkage of the part during edit.

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
The 'extrude to surface' tool still doesn't work properly. That could do with putting right.

Example: extruding a cylinder to a sphere with a 3mm offset.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Just doesn't do it. And yes, this has come up several times in the past. A very handy function that I could have used a lot.

And... The ability to select multiple surfaces to extrude to. That would be awesome.

JST

Alibre Super User
The 'extrude to surface' tool still doesn't work properly. That could do with putting right.

Example: extruding a cylinder to a sphere with a 3mm offset.
Just doesn't do it. And yes, this has come up several times in the past. A very handy function that I could have used a lot.

And... The ability to select multiple surfaces to extrude to. That would be awesome.

What result are you looking for from the "offset" ? A spherical surfac on the end of the extruded part?