What's new

v25 is now live - June 20, 2022

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Good idea Nate. That would fix the issue that now when I download a part/file and select Open with in the download dialog I need to navigate out to the correct version of Alibre to open it with. Just another quirk that goes with allowing multiple versions to be installed I guess.

Which versions are you using? Side by side on the same computer?

I thought that side by side installations we're only possible starting with V25.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'm on v25. When I updated to SP1 I was presented with the option to either remove the original v25 or install SP1 along side. I chose to delete the original and ended up with two folders for v25 in my Windows Explorer.
1660847443677.png

The process left the directories but all the contents were deleted.

I'm using Firefox and when I download a file, like from McMaster-Carr, I have this choice to make:

1660847643482.png

I then select Browse and select Alibre from the list of available programs.
And even that list needs to be updated to find the current version of Alibre.
And just so you know, selecting the "Do this automatically ..." doesn't seem to work.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm on v25. When I updated to SP1 I was presented with the option to either remove the original v25 or install SP1 along side. I chose to delete the original and ended up with two folders for v25 in my Windows Explorer.
View attachment 36918

The process left the directories but all the contents were deleted.

I'm using Firefox and when I download a file, like from McMaster-Carr, I have this choice to make:

View attachment 36919

I then select Browse and select Alibre from the list of available programs.
And even that list needs to be updated to find the current version of Alibre.
And just so you know, selecting the "Do this automatically ..." doesn't seem to work.

Ok. When I upgraded to SP1, I uninstalled V25 first, then installed V25sp1. That must be why I didn't see anything like this.

I've considering buying an Atom license and installing it alongside Expert. Just to play around with.

I wonder if I would need a separate maintenance contract for Atom.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I've considering buying an Atom license and installing it alongside Expert. Just to play around with.

I wonder if I would need a separate maintenance contract for Atom.
This is not possible, technically. You can't have both installed at the same time.

However, you could buy an Atom license and then open up Expert, release your license, and then input your Atom license and it would be Alibre Atom3D. Likewise to return to Expert repeat the process but use your Expert license.

Yes, Atom and Expert maintenance are separate.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
This is not possible, technically. You can't have both installed at the same time.

However, you could buy an Atom license and then open up Expert, release your license, and then input your Atom license and it would be Alibre Atom3D. Likewise to return to Expert repeat the process but use your Expert license.

Yes, Atom and Expert maintenance are separate.

Thanks. That's even easier.

Ex Machina

Let me just note though, that my problem was fixed when I let Windows handle the assignment. For some reason, when I chose the district GPU in the Windows Graphics menu, it worked with the APU. It did the opposite of what it was supposed to do.

Joseph

I just received notice of "Legacy Display Mode Deprecation" coming with v26. I'm sad about this. My computer is "old" at about 5 years, a quad-core, 3.5 GHz, with separate graphics card but nothing like the "horsepower" of a gaming card. In Legacy Mode, however, my display is fast enough not to slow me down at all including when working on fairly complex models. The newer display is much better looking and I switch to it for taking screenshots, but it is MUCH SLOWER, and I far prefer to normally work in Legacy Mode. I might be inclined to pass up the next few upgrades so that I can retain Legacy Mode until such time as I might be investing in a computer with faster graphics. Or, is it possible to retain two versions on my computer, so I can work in V25 and switch to V26 or later when I want the much nicer display?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Or, is it possible to retain two versions on my computer, so I can work in V25 and switch to V26 or later when I want the much nicer display?
Yes, moving forward side-by-side install is possible so this approach would work.