What's new

V25 RESTORING A BACKUP

rralston

I mistakenly saved over a couple of assemblies this morning and would like to step back to start of the day so I don't have to recreate the assemblies.
I have my save function set to 5 minutes. How do I do this?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The internal automated backup is solely for if the software detects an abnormal closure - it will then offer to restore backup at next launch. If there is no abnormal closure the backup file is deleted.

lamar

If you have Windows 10 and it is set for revision you can right click on the folder where your files our stored and select properties and then go to the previous versions and there should be your files from yesterday and earlier in the current day.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have my save function set to 5 minutes. How do I do this?
The auto save function in Alibre is not a backup ... it effectively just hits the save button at the interval you specify if you forget to manually do it periodically. It overwrites your existing files, it does not create a separate copy, it's not that cleaver! It's only real use is, as DavidJ points out, if Alibre crashes. In this scenario, you don't loose all of your changes, just the ones (in your case) that you did in the last 5 minutes.

The best way of rolling back is to either use Windows built-in previous version feature, as Lamar mentions., or before you start each day, save an Alibre package of your design and name it with the date/time of when you create it. Then you can just restore the package of your choice from the start of a particular day and go from there again. If you happy with progress you can delete the packages from a few days ago to conserve disc space. Alternatively, use a file versioning system or application like CVs, SVN, GitHub, M-Files or Vault and archive your work at particular stages when you are happy with your progress or just want to create a snapshot in time you may decide to rollback to at a later date. I personally do this after I've worked on each major feature of my designs ... like taking a progress milestone snapshot and keeping that nice and safe away from my next working session.

Lots of ways to prevent your pain, but it needs a bit of a dedicated process to achieve it ... in the same way you would with any other valuable piece of data or document.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
If you have Windows 10 and it is set for revision you can right click on the folder where your files our stored and select properties and then go to the previous versions and there should be your files from yesterday and earlier in the current day.
I take it that there is a setting in Windows that makes this possible and where is it?
When I look at Revisions on a folder there is nothing listed.

rralston

I ended up using the Windows solution as Lamar suggested. It almost worked great but for some reason it lost random features on a few parts and lost the paths to various parts.
But even with those problems it was worth the restore. I am glad to know about the Windows step back feature and hope I don't have to use it in the future.
Thanks all for the instructions and suggestions. You guys are great!