What's new

V25 Sluggish for me. Still loses contraints.

Briggs

After installing V25 my large assembly files are VERY sluggish on my fastest desktop computer at the office. On my laptop it was also very sluggish but improved greatly after I made sure the program was using the graphics card, not the integrated graphics. Anyone else suffering from this?

Also, just like V24, this latest version still loses the some assembly constraints when I edit a file within an assembly file (both Edit Here and Edit in Separate Window).

I posted this awhile back, but thought I would repost again for anyone else suffering from this loss of constraints issue. This was not a problem in V23 and earlier.

If you edit a part within an assembly (assuming the assembly file is open), regardless of if you use Edit Here or Edit in Separate Window, and if you want to restore the constraints you might have lost after editing the part, then follow this procedure:

option1: close the assembly file and reopen. (slowest method)
option 2: follow the procedure below (which is what I do because it only takes a few seconds)
- Right click Edit Here on the part you JUST EDITED (the second you do this you will see your part snap back to its constrained position if you moved it after editing)
-Then, immediately back out of this operation by going to the design explorer, then right click on the part name you are editing, then select the top most menu item (Edit Part/Subassembly). This will return you to your assembly file and let you continue to work. Hit save if you want, no need to though.

Note: regeneration does not restore the constraints after editing a part within an assembly file, at least not for me. I have assembly files that always loose constraints after editing a part, and other assembly files that don't. It does seem to happen more with complex assemblies and ones with lots of imported step files (although I'm not editing those, just the parts I create). Again, this was never an issue prior to V24.

Reactions: MKR

Briggs

Anyone have an opinion about running this new card to help boost performance?

Thank you!

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X LHR Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

Briggs

I installed the new MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X LHR Overclocked Triple-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics card but its still sluggish. I can twirl the model really fast but moving inserted and unconstrained parts in an assembly is super sluggish. Before the upgrade (to V25) I could grab the part and move it into position as fast as I wanted. Anybody else encountering this? Thank you!

Last edited:

Briggs

Rotating an unconstrained part (from within a large assembly) is extremely sluggish. Thank you.

Craig

I bought a gaming pc last year, specifically to run Alibre. It has four 2.5 ghz processors and an nvidia grapgics card with 8 gig of memory. Alibre 24 ran like scalded dog. Alibre 25, even after taking the steps to enable the graphics card, experiences the same performance as described above.

A major assembly will spin around fine, but rotating a part within the assembly , where with V24 moved well, with V25 is practically un-moveable. V25 has crippled these assemblies to where the CAD tool is practicably unusable. The Nvidia card loafs around at around 6% CPU usage (according to the task manager) while a CPU processor core pegs out at 100 percent.

I’m hoping the Alibre team will find a fix for this.

I have the system options / display setups as shown above. My graphics card is reported as NVIDIA GeForce GTX. 1660 Ti(#0)

Last edited:

Briggs

Yes indeed Craig. I’ve got the graphics settings dialed in right and the Alibre Display settings degraded severely, and still I’m encountering what you described. For me V25 is basically unusable for large assemblies.

Attachments

• 35B2B604-6C84-4F81-B84D-4E2F3264414E.jpeg
    35B2B604-6C84-4F81-B84D-4E2F3264414E.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 15

Andy

I have not only found it sluggish but it keeps crashing, three times yesterday and again this morning. It just freezes for no apparent reason (although I have the feeling it may be that I have been egging it on and perhaps clicking on things too fast) I have lost a whole lot of time on this as I have to shut down completely and restart, if I go back to V24 can I open V25 files?
Very frustrated at the moment.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Certainly seems to be a lot of issues with V25. I think we are going to skip this update here.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if this applies - have any of you who are finding things sluggish in v25, previously ran a v25 beta release? If so did you fully uninstall the beta before installing the production version??

A problem with response to zoom/rotate was found with the latest version of a particular component, so this was reverted to a previous version for the production release. I'm wondering if it's possible that simply running the installer didn't remove the newer (problematic) component...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Are any machines that are showing sluggish behaviour laptops with dual graphics adapters? If so there are a couple of things to perhaps try.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Just in case it helps anyone trying to diagnose this

I ran both versions of v25 beta for a couple months. When the official V25 was released, I uninstalled V25 beta first and installed V25.

I'm having no trouble. V25 runs fast and smooth on my Lenovo IdeaPad. It is a 15ITL6, Core i5-1135G7 2.4ghz with boost up to 4.2 ghz and 12gb of memory. Running Windows 11. It uses integrated Intel Iris XE graphics.

Definitely not the fastest laptop on the market these days. My laptop, oddly runs V25 faster than my higher spec desktop PC. It ran V24 faster as well.

The desktop PC has an AMD fx8350 8 core 4ghz processor with 32gb of memory and non-integrated pci express x16 8gb Radeon graphics.

Weird that the laptop runs Alibre significantly better than the desktop.

The only obvious performance advantages I see on the laptop that the desktop doesn't have is that the laptop has a solid state hard drive and the faster memory, albeit only 1/4 as much.
The Laptop has ddr4 pc4-25600, 3200mhz memory. The desktop has ddr3 pc3 12800, 1600mhz memory.

I'd be curious as to what the memory specs are in @Andy and @Briggs computers, or any of the other computer having this issue.

Last edited:

netcp

I noticed 2 things with V25:
1. Moving a not fully constraint part in a larger assembly with the mouse, the part
movement is not smooth it jumps.
2. Import of a large Step file seems as slow as it was before the large speed improvement of V24.

I dont try the beta before.