What's new

V25 Sluggish for me. Still loses contraints.

Andy

I did not try the beta and when updating to V25 a box came up suggesting I check which graphics adaptor I am using which I did and selected 'High performance GPU:AMD Radeon R7 M340' rather than the previous setting which was 'Let Windows decide'.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Andy - have you followed instructions in Help regarding graphics adapters?

Also just as an experiment - in Alibre System options, try different graphics adapter settings. A couple of users have found that they need to set the integrated graphics there to allow Windows to actually use the high performance adapter. Not really sure why, but in modern laptop the integrated graphics adapter is always the one connected to the screen - in high performance mode it acts as a frame buffer for the other adapter.

Briggs

Andy - have you followed instructions in Help regarding graphics adapters?

Also just as an experiment - in Alibre System options, try different graphics adapter settings. A couple of users have found that they need to set the integrated graphics there to allow Windows to actually use the high performance adapter. Not really sure why, but in modern laptop the integrated graphics adapter is always the one connected to the screen - in high performance mode it acts as a frame buffer for the other adapter.
Thanks David. I tried this on my laptop and it didn't make any difference in speed regardless of which processor I assigned. Again, this all started with V25.

Craig

Just a quick note: Service Pack1 for Version 25 seems to have fixed my performance problems. Thanks Alibre!

Last edited:

Briggs

I just installed the Service Pack1 for V25. Like Craig, it solved the stuttering and other speed issues I was encountering. As a person who mostly works in large assemblies this quick fix is very very much appreciated. Thank you team Alibre.

The loss of constraints issue is still there (since upgrading to V24), but at least I have a pretty quick work around to this issue, as already discussed in my earlier postings. This has to do with editing a part from within an assembly (either in new window or not), and losing the constraints on the just edited part.

henry78

I'm also having problems with constraints. Didn't really use V25, but noticed this after updating to "Version: V25 64-bit [Build 25037]". So not sure if it started already with V25.

I have an assembly, I edit a part within it (I often use "Edit in Separate Window" if that matters) that has constraints but it's like this constraint isn't applied after the part edit. Like if the edit causes two faces to a have some distance between them, but there is a 0,5 mm offset constraint, this is not enforced. If I suppress the constraint and then enable it again, then it works.

This will cause issues for sure in the long run... Fix for this would be highly appreciated!

I'm running a desktop machine:

Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19044.0
Processor Information: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Number of Processors: 8

16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

Microsoft .Net Framework

Nvidia Quadro K620 GPU.

henry78

option 2: follow the procedure below (which is what I do because it only takes a few seconds)
- Right click Edit Here on the part you JUST EDITED (the second you do this you will see your part snap back to its constrained position if you moved it after editing)
-Then, immediately back out of this operation by going to the design explorer, then right click on the part name you are editing, then select the top most menu item (Edit Part/Subassembly). This will return you to your assembly file and let you continue to work. Hit save if you want, no need to though.
I can also confirm that this method works for me.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Almost as if the top level assembly display isn't updating when you leave the separate window. Does pressing F5 correct things?

How do you leave the separate window after doing edits? You should only need to close the separate window, you should not hit Save for example.

henry78

Almost as if the top level assembly display isn't updating when you leave the separate window. Does pressing F5 correct things?

How do you leave the separate window after doing edits? You should only need to close the separate window, you should not hit Save for example.

I tested pressing F5 and it does indeed correct the issue. I simply close the edit window when leaving it, as I have done before. And it seems the save option is disabled in the edit window.

Made some more tests. If I use "Edit here", make the edit and go back to the assembly view by unchecking "Edit Part/Subassembly", then it looks like the constraint is applied correctly at least in this instance.

Don't know if this assembly is considered complex or not, or if it even makes a difference, but here's some more info about it:
There's about 230 constraints, about 90 parts some of which are duplicates, 10 subassemblies. Parts are fairly simple, more complexity in some subassemblies. One has 44 parts, total 58 MB. If I just open the assembly, it takes 1230 MB of RAM, without making any edits.

I tried to make a new assembly, with just one part and one constraint. I used the same part I had problems in this bigger assembly. This seems to work properly, even if edited in a separate window. So maybe the complexity has something to do with it?

Reactions: Max

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If pressing F5 corrects things, does rotating the view slightly also correct things? Am trying to establish specifically whether it's a display refresh or a model refresh that fixes things, and that should give clues as to where the problem might be.

Then need to establish if this issue is confined to only a few users, or simply hasn't been noticed by most.

henry78

Hmm.. this is even more strange now. I cannot seem to be able to reproduce the error anymore. Perhaps it was already fixed even earlier since the F5 trick worked? I had already saved the model before with this latest version installed a couple of times. And had opened it a couple of times since over the last two days. And computer was booted/shutdown inbetween.

But I'm sure while the error was visible, any rotation didn't help. I rotated the assembly many times since it looked so strange after the part edit and constraints not updating. Also, on one occasion I accidentally disabled another constraint regarding the part, this also made some sort of "refresh" to the other constraints and fixed the originally omitted constraint.

Briggs

Hi All. I work with a number of different assembly files and all of them suffer from the same loss of constraints once the part counts get higher than a few dozen, and sometimes as few as a dozen parts. I was able to recreate the issue while on a zoom call with support, so they saw first hand how re-editing the just edited part magically snapped it back into position. Unfortunately, rotating the models, changing views, F5, or Regen doesn't restore the loss. The only thing that does is doing what was already described earlier. Look, not everyone edits a part and then moves it after editing it. I can imagine a lot of users editing the part, returning to the assembly, then working on some other part, and then saving the assembly and leaving. Upon opening the file the next time all constraints will work and you'll never be the wiser that a loss of constraint had even occurred. It just seems I'm always grabbing the part I just edited to move and rotate, etc. This was not a problem before V24.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Hi All. I work with a number of different assembly files and all of them suffer from the same loss of constraints once the part counts get higher than a few dozen, and sometimes as few as a dozen parts. I was able to recreate the issue while on a zoom call with support, so they saw first hand how re-editing the just edited part magically snapped it back into position. Unfortunately, rotating the models, changing views, F5, or Regen doesn't restore the loss. The only thing that does is doing what was already described earlier. Look, not everyone edits a part and then moves it after editing it. I can imagine a lot of users editing the part, returning to the assembly, then working on some other part, and then saving the assembly and leaving. Upon opening the file the next time all constraints will work and you'll never be the wiser that a loss of constraint had even occurred. It just seems I'm always grabbing the part I just edited to move and rotate, etc. This was not a problem before V24.

I've had similar issues. I thought it was related to the imported step files, but even after cleaning up the file names as was suggested by support, the issued returned.

What did support say about the issue? Something that'll be addressed in a future service pack or in V26 perhaps?

Reactions: MKR

Briggs

I hope so. I'm sort of changing my work flow a bit by using more sub assemblies to limit the down time. It seems to not lose constraints for small assembly files. Or, I sort of just try and NOT move the part I just edited after returning to the assembly. I should note that it doesn't matter if you edit in place or in a separate window. I should also note the constraints in the explorer still show active.