What's new

V25 - Some aspects of UI performance are visibly not as good as V24

bolsover

interesting. This works here too.
The original operation freezes near to immediate, it doesen't let me choose anything after pressing extrude with the highlighted sketch in the explorer:
View attachment 36456
After this the Taskmanager has to do his job...

if i press extrude without the sketch <9> highlighted in the explorer, i can choose the length, after this the sketch and it works:
View attachment 36457
db
Regards
Stefan
Hi Stefan
... See my earlier reply to @HaroldL.
I think your note that it works with a different sequence is particularly interesting - might be a clue to the root cause of the problem.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Interestingly, knowing how to get around the lockup, I successfully set the extrude for 1", after removing the inner circle from the sketch. I then moved the shell function to the bottom and included the new face in the remove selection. All good. I then went to the extrude in question and changed it back to full depth of 5" AND IT WORKED WITHOUT LOCKING UP. Did this have something to do with the feature now not being the last item on the feature tree?
Just tried it and yes it does. I extruded sketch 9 to geometry and then dragged the shell to below it and then edited Extrude 9 and it successfully extruded to 5", even though the shell command was now broken. Trying to adjust Extrude 9 to 5" without moving the shell command below it caused it to lock up every time.
So more testing and my logic is NOT right. I tried doing a 1" extrude and then putting a radius in so the extrude wasn't the last thing on the item tree. I then edited sketch 9 to 5" but it locked up. Did the above procedure of moving the shell command down and trying and it didn't lock up.

All grist for the mill, (as they say). Hopefully this info may be of some help to the developers.

weppler

I find that v25 is so SLOOOOOW as to be almost unuseable.
It seems to be the raw computation, not the graphics.
Every time I do almost anything, minutes are spent "updating topologies".

10th gen i7

Briggs

I feel your pain Weppler. Yes, working inside assembly files is almost unusable in V25. Just flipping around a model (in preparation for constraining it) is basically impossible. The lag and stutter makes rotating the models a real crap shoot. My solution is to break all my models into MUCH smaller pieces, sub assemblies if you will. I wish they would work on a way to allow us to go back to V23 or V24. Since I mostly work inside assembly files this has very much slowed down my workflow.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
What kind of models and assemblies are you guys working with that is causing this kind of lag?

I'm using V25, and some of my assemblies have hundreds of parts. I haven't noticed any of the behavior you guys are running into.

For example, this lathe and this engine are both full of moving parts such as bearings, gears, levers and linkages.

1659491131906.png

1659491538446.png

I have them both open at the same time as im taking these screenshots, and my computer isn't having any trouble whatsoever. I can easily rotate, zoom and otherwise manipulate both going back and forth with no lagging. My cooling fan kicks on occasionally, but goes back off after a minute or two even with both files open at the same time.

1659491748531.png

My laptop specs are listed in below, and its by no means a high-end computer. I suspect you guys are probably using a higher spec computer than mine. I wonder if you have some other imcompatibility. Maybe something in your version of Windows that isn't working well with V25, or perhaps a hardware driver or something that doesn't like V25.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The choppy/laggy behaviour noticed by some is not apparent in all circumstances. The reasons for it have been identified and are addressed in v25 SP1.

I suggest waiting for SP1, then re-checking performance before looking for any other factors.

oilman

Glad to hear SP1 is out! Updating now.

When I first started using Alibre... I paid no attention to how assemblies were structured. Had a few assemblies with 1000+ parts and zero sub-assemblies. Yikes.

Found Alibre performed much better after learning how to properly use it. I've had 0 issues V25 but to be fair... I now follow proper design techniques :)

Is there a paper or outline on the do's & don'ts for proper design techniques for assemblies? I stumbled through problems with top assemblies fixing broken constraints in sub-assemblies, anchored parts, and undoing patterns in sub-assemblies so that the top assembly was able to be made flexible.

Briggs

With all due respect to Oilman, I had no sluggish performance issues until V25, and then I did. And then they issued a Service Pack for it and that fixed the sluggishness. That said, I'm more than happy to admit I'm no expert CAD designer (a pretty good CAD HACK perhaps?), and I'm sure almost anybody here on this forum could teach me more than a thing or two. Or three. Oilman, please share with us your list of proper design techniques. Thank you in advance!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
The issue started in v25.0 and related to updating the contents of the assembly explorer. This update was happening unnecessarily but used to be very fast and so it wasn't ever noticed by you or us. Around v25.0 an issue with a component provider resulted in very marginal performance decrease for refreshing the contents of that control. But it was happening frequently and so compounded the issue.

The change that was made results in no longer refreshing the explorer unnecessarily. If the explorer happened to have tons of stuff in it, for example hundreds of parts in the top level, it's likely that compounded the issue. So poor assembly management was typically, but not always, an instigator for this since it was more likely to take milliseconds longer to refresh. There are some types of performance issues where we can confidently say poor modeling practices are to blame, but this was not one of those. Yes it didn't help, but it was our fault not yours.