What's new

V8.2 bug

lcguias

V8.2 bug

Hi,

Looks like there is a problem with the part/subass updateing in an assy.
Please try the following.

Open an assy
Edit a part(with shift-edit part combination). Make sure you change at least a dim in the part)
Save and closed the part file
Try to add a constrain to this part(same problem if the part has no constrains attached before editing)

The error message is

com.alibre.design.ops.OperationTargetProxy$ConstraintTargetUnavailableException: Target no longer available:com.alibre.design.ops.OperationTargetProxy@9a689e4e
member.getPart().getName() = Base plate
topologyAutographOrGuid =

If you close the assy and open it again it work ok

Dan

Mibe

Alibre Super User

A workaround that works:

DON'T save the part when finished editing in the separate window, just close it. The part is updated anyway in the assembly file, so save it from the assembly environment instead.

Wish that "Save" was not an option in that part window :)

wfpelletier

Re:

Mibe said:
Wish that "Save" was not an option in that part window :)

I'm with you, Mibe. I was slightly disappointed this was not addressed with the 8.2 upgrade. I would have thought that they would have removed (or 'greyed out') the 'Save' option when a part is opened for editing in a separtate window from an assembly. As many of us users know, the workaround you described does work consistently, but I can't help but think new users will continue to run into this problem, and get frustrated until they learn about the workaround.

wfpelletier

mtauer

After I opened a part through an assembly I made changes to the part then saved/closed it with the "Make New Version" UNchecked and the part updated in the assembly.

Then when the assembly is saved the part version gets bumped.

I think this overwrites the part files last version before it was opened for editing through the assembly.

Mark

euphnut65

How does it get saved?

A workaround that works:

DON'T save the part when finished editing in the separate window, just close it. The part is updated anyway in the assembly file, so save it from the assembly environment instead.

Sorry, I'm confused, how is a part going to update in the assembly if you don't save it from the part window when it was edited in the part window?
Eric

Mibe

Alibre Super User

Not sure how it technically works, but when editing in a part window - the part also updates in the assembly window. If the part windows is closed, it remains in the assembly window and may be saved from there...

mtauer

DON'T save the part when finished editing in the separate window, just close it. The part is updated anyway in the assembly file

Solidworks operates the same way. Make changes to a part, then close the part window without saving changes, it is updated in the assembly. But when back to the assembly you can "reload" the part as it was before the changes were made.

Does AD have a "reload" equal?

Mark

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

The shift+edit bug appeared with V8.0.

Back in V7.0 you could save from within the part you were editing and everything updated perfectly.

This bug seemed to me an important issue because it caused us a couple bad problems before we found a workaround. It was reported as an incident to support and shared here on a post called edit+shift (click to see post)

If you review the post, we had Greg Milliken and Dave (from AD developement) saying it would be fixed with SP 1.

SP 1 came and went and now we have V8.2 and still have the problem. Please don't get me wrong. V8.2 is a beauty, but it does bother me that something like this got overlooked. :? (specially when it used to work perfectly in V7.0)

lcguias

Hi,

I reported this to AA and this is what I got

""This issue is common when you change the part enough so that the face/edge/plane reference has to be renamed, which is why I suggested the alternatives to ensure that you will not encounter it. It's more best practices than anything.""

I got a bit unhappy about this position.

The second big issue to me is that non of the assy / subassy updates.
If you change a part you have to go and open all subassy to get the change in the final assy.

Gaspar do you have the same problem?

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Yes, same thing on this end :?

1) Open an assy.
2) Edit a part in part workspace (shift + edit)
3) Save and go back to the assy. Everything seems fine.
4) Edit the part again, but this time within the assembly (no shift, just edit).
5) You loose all your previous changes.

The workaround that consistently functions is not to save changes until you return to the top level assembly and then save from there. In order to do this you have to "disregard":

1) Prompts to save when you leave your part or non top subassembly windows.
2) Save icon on top level assembly wont be enabled. You have to save from the "file" menu.

The thing that gets me the most is that in V7.0 everything worked FINE. You could save your changes in any window (which seems logical to me) and everything updated perfectly.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Thanks Alibre for solving this issue!

I suddenly noticed its not happening any more and then saw it mentioned as one of the things solved in the last service pack.