What's new

Variable fillet/lofting with guide curves

portbury

Hi folks,

I'm still quite new to 3D CAD and am struggling with the attached part. I've tried 2 methods and attach the two versions of the part. I'm trying to create a variable radius fillet around the cylindrical section to link it to the curved base. I'm modelling the water tank and dome of this steam locomotive:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrismulli ... otostream/

As you can see in the photo, the dome has a fillet around the base to join it to the water tank. The outer edge of the dome fillet appears circular when viewed from directly above.

The first method I tried (Dol tank 12_3) was to use the variable radius fillet tool. I split the dome into quarters, extruded the 4 90 degree sections in turn and applied the fillet to each as I went. However I couldn't get this to work sucessfully, it seems you can't get the fillets of adjacent sections to share exactly the same radius and the fillets also can't be made to line up with the edge of the sort of 'flattened donut' or flange at all places and so do not end up circular. I tried splitting the dome into a large number of smaller segments, but ran up against the same problems, the fillet ends up looking like a mess.

The other method I've tried (Dol tank 12_5) is to use a loft boss, using 2 sketches at 90 degrees to each other and a guide curve consisting of a 3d sketch of the intersection between the dome and the tank. I created the sketches using vertical sketch planes at 90 degrees to each other with an axis going through the centre of the dome. Project to sketch doesn't seem to like the intersection between the dome and tank and projecting it to the YZ plane caused problems of crashing when trying to start lines at some of the sketch points.

I can get the loft boss to sort of work, using the tangent option for the 3D guide curve, but it doesn't do what I want it to of course. Using the local and global options just throws up errors.

I'd be grateful for any pointers anyone may have, it's getting rather frustrating to say the least....

Many thanks

Rich

Attachments

• Dol tank 12_3.AD_PRT
    928.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Dol tank 12_5.AD_PRT
    600 KB · Views: 20
  • Dol tank 12_3.jpg
    Dol tank 12_3.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 33

bigseb

Alibre Super User
If you have MoI its a doddle...

Attachments

• train fillet.png
    train fillet.png
    388.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Train Fillet.AD_PRT
    693 KB · Views: 20

portbury

That's extremely neat and exactly what I was after, many thanks!

I can't open the new file sadly though, Alibre just crashes on opening it. I'm running Alibre standard 12.1?

Also think I shall go shopping for MoI, it looks rather useful :)

Many thanks for the tip.

Rich

portbury

Thanks for the MoI link, it seems impressively easy to use in the videos and looks a v useful complement to Alibre. I'll download the trial version to start with and have a play.

Just wondering if you could perhaps point me in the direction of which tool(s) you used to do the variable fillet in MoI to give me a general idea?

Cheers

Rich

bigseb

Alibre Super User
MoI is a surface modellor, so it is very different to Alibre. If you've used Rhino before though then it very simple. I'm a bit busy at the moment but once I have a few minutes to spare I'll whip up a little how-to... :)

portbury

That's incredibly kind Seb, many thanks! I've not used Rhino, so on a bit of a learning curve :).

Cheers again

Rich

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Here is a step file you can use... :)

Attachments

• fillet example.stp
    636.1 KB · Views: 22

portbury

That's brilliant Seb, both model and the walk through. V kind and much appreciated. I shall go play :D

Thanks again

Rich

portbury

Have now made my own version, following your walkthrough. Worked an absolute treat :D :D :D

Attachments

• Dol tank with dome final 12.jpg
    Dol tank with dome final 12.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 23

Ralf

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
:D Great stuff. You will find MoI to be a very handy tool.

+1 Alibre + Moi3D unbeatable combination. :D

Sebastian, I could not sleep, therefore I have create it also with AD V2012.
(For a better understanding as an assembly with 3 parts.)

Attachments

• Dol_Tank-1.png
    Dol_Tank-1.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 73

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Here is the "Hidden Example-Part", to get the 3D Points and 3D Sketches. :)

Attachments

• Dol_Tank-3D-points-3D-Sketches.AD_PRT
    415.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 3D-Points-3D-Sketches.png
    3D-Points-3D-Sketches.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 77