What's new

Vectorizing text

ChrisJ

Vectorizing text

I would like to see the ability to vectorize text for the purpose of modeling the text into a part. This is highly beneficial for engraving purposes.

When converting to vectors it would be the outline of each font character that would vectorized.

Then of course, if that vectorized text can then be projected onto a 2D or a 3D surface, the feature would be sweet.

ChrisJ

Should have done a search first

Just did a search and found that this feature was already requested. Sorry for being redundant.

jemmej

Let me add my name to the list. NOt only good for engraving, but good for simply creating artwork. My company often designs overlays for use with our electronic designs, very hard to do right now in AD.

Jim

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

Producing text as a text outline sketch which you can then extrude onto your part is one thing (and I agree that it is a must have!).
However I'd prefer to have also the ability to "print" the text onto the part surface and for this to always show up in drawings and assemblies.
If text is extruded like it was engraved with a set depth (or sticking outwith a set depth) then this represents a lot of complexity in the geometry.
A flat sheet part covered with text in this way becomes the equivalent of an RB211 HP compressor housing!
While a decal can be applied in the phot real add on thos of us who produce sheet metal with some screen printing don't want to have to produce rendered images just to show which plug goes in which socket!