What's new

Version 22 - one more thing

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I use this value regularly and, though it is not that hard to calculate, it appears next to nowhere (Practical Stress Analysis in Engineering Design being the best "exception") and yet about 70% of "Fastener Failures" come from a "bending load" applied to the "threaded portion" of a Fastener. -- Lew

Lew, you can still use your spreadsheet to select which fastener you want to use. You can then pop over into the generator and generate the part once you've decided its characteristics from your spreadsheet. The library is not a knowledge base - it is a dynamic geometry generation tool.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The "Range-Driven" Parameter type allows inputs to the logic (called "Parent Parameters") to be a range. For example:

If parameter Length is between 1-10, then allow Depth to be (1, 2, or 3)
If parameter Length is between 10.01 - 20, then allow Depth to be (4, 5, 6, or 7)

Your question, perhaps subtly and unintentionally, implies the output (the comma separated list which eventually populates a dropdown) could be a range - but that doesn't make sense in the context of a part. A part's parameters must resolve to a single value. I hope that makes sense. But yes, ranges are possible - I brainfarted while making the video and only showed single values as inputs in the Range Driven type.
The scenario was kind of linked to your video in that you may have an input option (i.e. A particular length) of 10,20,30 which gives the option to allow an angle of 10 = 10-20, 20 = 10-30, 30 = 15-45, so you can enter a value in that range (rather than a drop down) ... if that make sense!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
The scenario was kind of linked to your video in that you may have an input option (i.e. A particular length) of 10,20,30 which gives the option to allow an angle of 10 = 10-20, 20 = 10-30, 30 = 15-45, so you can enter a value in that range (rather than a drop down) ... if that make sense!

Ah, I understand. There is currently no way to allow a user to type in a value but only accept the value if it is between a particular range, nor is there a way to generate an output range for a dropdown automatically. You would have to define a parameter as

10 -> 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 and not 10 -> 10-20.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
10 -> 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 and not 10 -> 10-20.
... and that's presuming the angles are all integers and not to 1 decimal place, otherwise the list will be BIG! I guess some practical hands on use will determine the need for that level of flexibility.

Isn't that a Thread Library Lew, not a Part Library?
Hi Simon -- It is the Thread Definition set for what will become a complete Parts Library that will define Parts based on "standard" and "available" Screw Body and Threaded Portion Lengths in an overall "selection set." Each Part will end up being Named something (like) "MIL-blah-Screw 0-5000-20-2A N-BUTT-PUSH-RH X 1-500 Long." However the information as to the fasteners mechanical properties will be provided in the (spreadsheet-based Selection Index. -- Lew

TimoCAD

Yes, but nothing to be considered comprehensive and all of it in ISO. It is less of a "standard parts library" and more of a "dynamic design generator" though it can certainly be used as a standard part library.

I also imagine that some folks on here will devote a nontrivial amount of time to making and sharing libraries of such standard parts.
I think I will help as best as I can in my spare time to fill the "Standards Library". Everyone should help to fill it.

Lew, you can still use your spreadsheet to select which fastener you want to use.
Hi Max -- One of the reasons I use my (somewhat) strange approach to Project Directory Management is that my "drive assigment system" dates to when I got Gary Kildahl to create a "drive identity list" that allowed me to define "hard drives" well outside of the "C:, D:, or E:" standard identity set that made it easier to pass Defense Contracts Administration Security System (DCASS) review. Thus, for my current system layout "Library Files" get stored on "Drive J:." If I create a Package using this it causes a real mess when my customer goes to "Un-Package" something. That is one reason why I create "Fastener" and "Purchased Components" directories in and for each Project. [It also allows me to include text, document,spreadsheet, FEA, and PDF files in my Archive system.] -- Lew

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Max -- One of the reasons I use my (somewhat) strange approach to Project Directory Management is that my "drive assigment system" dates to when I got Gary Kildahl to create a "drive identity list" that allowed me to define "hard drives" well outside of the "C:, D:, or E:" standard identity set that made it easier to pass Defense Contracts Administration Security System (DCASS) review. Thus, for my current system layout "Library Files" get stored on "Drive J:." If I create a Package using this it causes a real mess when my customer goes to "Un-Package" something. That is one reason why I create "Fastener" and "Purchased Components" directories in and for each Project. [It also allows me to include text, document,spreadsheet, FEA, and PDF files in my Archive system.] -- Lew

I'm not sure how this is relevant - where you decide to save a part you've created from the library is still up to you...like any other part or existing fastener or workflow you use today. If you already have a large standalone library and existing workflow that works for you and is efficient, then you do not have a large incentive to port everything over to this tool - which is fine. Use it or don't! It's there if you need it.

If you already have a large standalone library and existing workflow that works for you and is efficient, then you do not have a large incentive to port everything over to this tool - which is fine. Use it or don't! It's there if you need it.
Hi Max -- Before I discovered differently, I provided "Project Package" file sets to my Alibre-using clients. They complained bitterly about the "number" and (if you will) "broad locations" where things ended up when they "UnPackaged" such archives. The system I am currently using comes as a "response" to said complaints. I have (over the past decade) "converted" (about) 15 companies (probably averaging about 4 "seats" each) to Alibre as their CAD system. -- Lew

Mika

This is GREAT! It will really gonna make my work easier. Thank you.

Just a few things I was left wondering after i watched the video. After we have "Finish" the part configuring on the assembly, is it possible to go back to those part thickness/length etc. parameters? Or is it already created part on the screen and only possibility to edit that part is editing sketch/extrude length?

Saving the assembly will save those created separated part files? Or can it be always the same item number? Just with the different length/thickness etc. details in a BOM list. True adaptive library part, not separated part files for each project folder.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
After we have "Finish" the part configuring on the assembly, is it possible to go back to those part thickness/length etc. parameters? Or is it already created part on the screen and only possibility to edit that part is editing sketch/extrude length?

Saving the assembly will save those created separated part files? Or can it be always the same item number? Just with the different length/thickness etc. details in a BOM list. True adaptive library part, not separated part files for each project folder.

After hitting finish, the part is created and as of that time no longer has any link to the library. In other words, no, you cannot then go back and dynamically change it using the part library UI. You could edit the part like normal and modify the parameters in the Equation Editor, or you could delete it and insert a new one from the library.

Also as of the time of insertion, the part is like any other part. It needs to be named and saved wherever you like. If it ends up having different properties, or item number, or part name, etc - then you will need to set those things. This is a v1 and we'll consider other things as they arise and we can be sure there is a need that enough people have.

Just a few things I was left wondering after i watched the video. After we have "Finish" the part configuring on the assembly, is it possible to go back to those part thickness/length etc. parameters? Or is it already created part on the screen and only possibility to edit that part is editing sketch/extrude length?
Mika -- If you go to the Resources section you can look at the Part Libraries that I have placed there. The approach that I follow is to create Parts of all "standard sizes." Thus, each Part has a File Name that defines it fully -- (say) "SAE J429 Grade 5 Hex Head Cap Screw 0-3125-18UNC X 1-250 Long.AD_PRT" such that it's full "identity" is obvious and part of the File Explorer listing. [Though, as somebody who predates the ability to use decimal points within File Names, I use hyphens (-) for that purpose.] -- Lew

Mika

This is a v1 and we'll consider other things as they arise and we can be sure there is a need that enough people have.

It would be so nice if library parts can be just modified with changing those library parameters and not to save it at all as a new part. It would make that "Frame Generator" already a bit unnecessary, this solution is so near to it already. Just leave an option there to "break link to library".

One biggest benefit would be to reduce files amount in a one project, because most of the parts would be the "Adaptive Library Parts". It would reduce also file management mess, because one assy would not have so many links to each small metal piece. Library part measuring sheet("Cutlist") is so easy to make on assy drawing sheet#2, library parts wont need separated drawings.

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Max,
I like that you've got a new addition of the part generator to Alibre's tool box.
Your updated video shows holes that appear to be threaded. And the options for holes doesn't give a user input other than what's in the list. Will there be a selection for tapped holes and clearance holes for the standard size fasteners/bolts and screws? Or is the bracket shown just a "taste" of what is possible and the users will need to create the needed holes, tapped or otherwise?

TherradedHolesShown.png

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Max,
I like that you've got a new addition of the part generator to Alibre's tool box.
Your updated video shows holes that appear to be threaded. And the options for holes doesn't give a user input other than what's in the list. Will there be a selection for tapped holes and clearance holes for the standard size fasteners/bolts and screws? Or is the bracket shown just a "taste" of what is possible and the users will need to create the needed holes, tapped or otherwise?

View attachment 31510

That part is just a taste. It has those options because that's what I choose to expose in the design. There are thread options, but this made up part didn't need them.

Hole type is not currently an option (countersunk /simple /counterbore etc.) but threads are.

M00m137

Congrats on v22, it looks exciting.
But... does anyone know how nicely this DDL thing plays with M-Files? It looks great, but it's usefulness will be pretty limited to me if it doesn't work with my PDM system.

I'm getting the impression that the DDL is really more of a part generator, and that the parts will be discrete and self-contained once they are saved. If so then I think that should be okay. But if anyone has actually tried it I'd love to see it confirmed before I go off and have a go.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The DDL 'master' files are all held in a special directory on your computer - it's only when parts are generated from the master, that resulting part gets stored (if you choose to save it). It is saved just like any other file, so can be saved to WFS or to M-Files.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I am seeing everyone is using KeyShot 9. I check mine an I am using 8.2!! I have checked for updates and there are no updates available. So how do I update to version 9?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Go to Alibre downloads page, download Keyshot 9.2 . Install it. When you are happy it's working you can uninstall Keyshot 8 (or leave it).

From Keyshot 9.2 - check for updates to get the 9.3 version. DO NOT accept the update at initial installation, wait until you have Keyshot 9 installed.