What's new

VisualCAM for Geomagic

MikeH

Installed

Multi-threaded as well besides the HSM (2D) already mentioned. Found in "Set Machining Preferences". Check "always generate toolpaths in multiple threads". Verified a 3D Advanced path using 4 (of my 8 ). With this simple part it generated quickly. Ease of use is the same and entirely familiar. No big changes seen as far as that goes. Of course it has only been about 30 minutes of play time and given how familiar it looks I am probably missing some things. They will be having a see what's new webinar

fabcadmz

From the little bit I used the new version I am very pleased. HSM, multi-threading, keep tool down while pocketing etc.. are all nice enhancements.
One problem, ever since I installed VisualCAM 2014, Geomagic Design crashes when I save any file (AD_PRT, AD_SMP, AD_ASM, and AD_DRW) but the file is saved OK. However, if I have any of the CAM browsers open at the time of saving (Freemill, Mill ,Turn), or if I disable CAM form the add-ons the crash does not occur. :? Curious if anyone else has the same problem? I am sending an e-mail to Mecsoft regarding this issue, see what they have to say.

Windows 7 64 bit
Geomagic Design 2014 version. 15.0.2.15088 - 64 bit
VisualCAM 2014 for Geomagic Design version: 4.0.0.16 - 64 bit

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that today too - I've alerted MecSoft, who are looking into it, expect a new build soon (they sorted issues I noticed with the 'Getting Started' files in just a few hours).

fabcadmz

Thanks for the info. They are working on the e-mail server here at work so I was not able to send an e-mail to Mecsoft yet. Hopefully it gets fixed soon, it kinda makes a person mad when Geomagic does an auto save and promptly crashes anything I was working on. :roll:

KRELER

Same problem over here in first instance. However MecSoft just released version 4.0.17 yesterday which seems to fix the problem!

fabcadmz

Thanks for the info. I installed the new update this morning and everything appears to work properly again.

MikeH

Had one crash. Did not see there was an update already, thanks

Just noticed the multithread option runs the MO's simultaneously (roughing and re-roughing) but it then asks for simulation of roughing. Much faster than before. With the previous version I thought I needed a better laptop. Not true. Now it is truly faster. Kind of nice. I don't need to scoot over to the other desk and do something else while I wait :D I am getting the impression the 3D Advanced Roughing seems tweaked (improved) when I look at the path it generates.

maxine

I am having the problem with multiple crashes since I downloaded Visual Mill 2014 for Geomagic too. Mostly when I try to save but sometimes when trying to simulate a toolpath as well. When I try to find the updated download that you all mention I just get an error message from the MecSoft site:

Method Not Implemented
GET to /Downloads.shtml not supported.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Has anyone been able to download the newer version in the last couple of days?

Alexander

I have Alibre CAM basic which was bundled with Alibre Design Expert, will I be able to use this new release or does it require an upgrade cost (which I am thinking very likely :roll: )

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The new product will run in 'FreeMill' mode without a dongle - I believe that is broadly equivalent to the 'basic' that was bundled with Expert. You can also run it in 'Demo' mode (to evaluate any of the higher levels, but with Post Processing/G-code creation disabled).

Note in Demo mode it isn't possible to save CAM data to the file.

maxine

fabcadmz said:
I just checked, it works for me. This is the downloads page you are using, correct? http://visualcamforgeomagic.com/Downloads.shtml

Yep that's the link I was using. I still get the error tonight. I even tried cutting and pasting from your post and still get the same error. Also when I click on "check for updates" inside the CAM (Pro version) it says upgrade available, click here. But when I click that link I get the same error message. darn.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Check with MecSoft support - they might be able to provide an alternate way to access the file. Alternatively try downloading from a different PC/location (home perhaps) - maybe a network security setting is getting in the way.